Canada Visa and Passport Requirements

Passport required Return ticket required Visa required
Australian Yes Yes No
British Yes Yes No
Canadian N/A N/A N/A
EU Yes/1 Yes No
USA 2 No No

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

Apply for one now! Preferred suppliers of Visas and Passports by World Travel Guide

To enter Canada, a valid passport is required by all nationals referred to in the chart above, except the following:

1. Citizens of France who are residents of, and entering from, the French overseas territory Saint Pierre and Miquelon; and persons entering from Saint Pierre and Miquelon.

2. Citizens of the USA entering Canada via car, bus, train or boat require a certificate of Indian status along with photo ID. However, it is recommended that you carry a valid passport. US citizens entering Canada via air require a valid passport. US citizens re-entering the USA from Canada via air require a valid passport. US citizens re-entering via land or sea require a passport or passport card.

Passport note

The following are unsuitable for travel to Canada: any passport claiming to have been issued by Somalia; non-machine readable passports issued by the Czech Republic; temporary passports issued by the Republic of South Africa; and provisional passports issued by Venezuela.


All EU nationals are considered visa-exempt for stays up to six months but all must complete an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) before boarding their flights to Canada. Visit to apply for an eTA which is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. The cost of an eTA is CAD$7.

However, EU nationals do not need an eTA if entering by land or sea. This includes driving from the United States to Canada or going to Canada on a cruise ship.

Citizens from the following countries are considered visa-exempt (they only need an eTA if going to Canada by air). The countries are: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, British citizen, British national (overseas), British subject with a right of abode in the United Kingdom, Brunei, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong SAR passport holders, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico*, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Romania (must have an electronic passport), Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates and Vatican City.

Nationals and lawful permanent residents of the United States of America are visa-exempt and they are exempt from the eTA requirements.


*Mexican nationals are eligible for an eTA if they meet the following three requirements:

- They fly to Canada with a valid passport.

- They are coming to transit or for a short visit not longer than 6 months.

- They have either held a Canadian visitor visa in the past 10 years or they currently hold a valid United States of America nonimmigrant visa.

Visa note

Persons wishing to attend a study course of six months' duration or less, at any level, do not require a study permit. However, if there is the possibility that you will extend your period of study in Canada, or if you are a full-time student and wish to work part-time, you may apply for a study permit.

Depending on circumstance and nationality, certain applicants may need to undergo a medical examination in order to receive their visas; this must be carried out by a doctor on Canada's list of Panel Physicians.

Visa applicants from some countries need to provide biometrics (photo and fingerprints).

Types and cost

Single- or multiple-entry visitor visa: C$100; family visitor visa: C$500 maximum; transit (less than 48 hours); study permit: C$150.


Single-entry visa: up to six months.

Multiple-entry visa: allows entry as often as necessary for up to 10 years. All applicants are considered for a multiple-entry visa.

The determination regarding length of stay in Canada can only be decided by the examining officer at the port of entry. It is usually six months, but in some cases, the officer may limit the permitted time in Canada depending on the purpose of your trip.

Visitors must leave Canada on or before the date authorised by the examining officer on arrival.


Transit visas are necessary for all nationals who require a visitor visa and who are stopping in Canada for fewer than 48 hours on the way to another country. However, this does not include citizens or lawful permanent residents of the USA, who only need the correct travel documents. Passport holders of China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Taiwan also may not require a transit visa if they meet certain conditions. Find out more online at

Additionally, certain nationalities travelling to or from the USA via Canada may be eligible for the Transit Without Visa programme; check online at

Application to

Consulate (or consular section at embassy or high commission). Some applicants are eligible to apply online ( Applicants living in the UK can obtain an eTA for short time stay online ( UK citizens intending to stay in Canada for a longer period of time should contact the Canadian High Commission.

Temporary residence

In addition to the visas listed above, parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents may apply for a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, which allows stays of up to two years.

Working days

Visa processing time varies according to your nationality and your country of residence.

Sufficient funds

All visitors must have enough money to cover their stay; the amount varies depending on individual circumstances, length of stay and whether you’re staying with friends and relatives or in a hotel.

Extension of stay

If you wish to extend your stay as a visitor, you must apply to the nearest Canada Immigration Centre or online before the expiry of the visitor visa. The cost to extend a visitor visa is C$100.

Entry with children

If travelling with children under 18 or 19 (depending on province) of whom you are not the legal parent or guardian, you are advised to bring a signed letter authorising entry into Canada from the child's parent or guardian. If you are the child's only parent or guardian, it's recommended that you bring documents showing this.

Entry restrictions

Visitors may be denied entry to Canada for a number of reasons, including: security; human or international rights violations; criminality; organised criminality; health grounds; financial reasons; misrepresentation; non-compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; having an inadmissible family member. If you have ever been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, you will probably be found criminally inadmissible to Canada, but may be able to obtain a temporary resident permit for one visit. A processing fee of C$200 has to be payed but there is no guarantee that the permit will be granted.

Entry with pets

For information on importing pets into Canada, visit the website of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (

Embassies and tourist offices

Canadian Embassy in the USA
Telephone: +1 202 682 1740. Website: Opening times: Mon-Fri 0900-1700.
Canadian High Commission in the UK
Telephone: +44 20 7004 6000 Website: Opening times: Mon - Fri 0800-1600.
British High Commission in Canada
Telephone: +1 613 237 1530. Website: Opening times: By appointment only. Telephone: Mon-Fri 0900-1600.

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

With more than 50 years experience CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral have become the largest and most well-established travel visa and passport company in the world.

CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral has the tools, experience, and global network necessary to effectively reduce the time associated with obtaining travel documents and legalisations.

VisaCentral offer:

  • Unmatched Speed.
  • Full Line of Services.
  • Proprietary Database.
  • Travel Visa and Passport Specialists.
  • Secure Process.
  • Real-time Order Tracking.

Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.