Sweden Visa and Passport Requirements

Passport required Return ticket required Visa required
Australian Yes No No
British Yes No No
Canadian Yes No No
Other EU 1 No No
USA Yes No No

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

Apply for one now! Preferred suppliers of Visas and Passports by World Travel Guide

A passport valid for three months beyond the length of stay and issued within the past 10 years is required by all nationals listed in the chart above except (1) EU nationals holding a passport or national ID card which is valid for the duration of stay.

If travelling from one border-free Schengen country to another however, EU nationals are not required to show a passport or national ID card. It is still recommended that you travel with your passport or ID card to prove your identity if necessary though. Note that Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the UK are not part of the Schengen area, so a passport or ID card is required if travelling to/from these countries.

EU nationals are not required to possess a return ticket or show sufficient funds.


Visas are not required by nationals referred to in the chart above. Australian, Canadian and US nationals can stay in Sweden for up to 90 days without a visa. EU nationals may stay for an unlimited period, but must register with the local authorities if planning on stay longer than three months.

Visa note

Nationals not referred to in the chart are advised to contact the embassy to check visa requirements for Sweden.

Types and cost

Citizens of EU countries including the UK and Ireland can live and work freely in any Schengen or EU country, which includes Sweden, so do not require any type of visa to visit the country. A small number of non-EU countries have also negotiated visa-free travel with Sweden, including the USA, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and Australia. For citizens of other non-EU countries, Swedish visas available include the standard 90-day visitor’s visa, along with work, student, family, medical, performing artists visas and a visa for exceptional circumstances, including for emergency purposes or on humanitarian grounds. Citizens from countries that have negotiated visa exemption agreements with Sweden still require a visa for stays of more than 90 days. See www.swedenabroad.com for more information.

Schengen visa: €60/£50. This is reduced to €35/£30 for children under 12 and nationals of some countries.


Schengen visa: 90 days within a six-month period.


A transit visa is required for nationals of just a handful of countries; check with the consulate.

Application to

Consulate (or consular section at embassy). UK residents who wish to apply for a Schengen visa should apply through VFS Global (www.vfsglobal.se/uk) in London or Edinburgh, with whom the Swedish Embassy has an agreement. A non-refundable service charge of £24 applies in addition to the cost of the visa. All visa applicants aged 12 or over must submit biometric data at their visa appointment.

Schengen visas

Sweden is part of the Schengen area.

Working days

Allow seven to 60 days for visa processing. 

Sufficient funds

If applying for a Schengen visa, you must show you have at least kr370 (around £30) per day, per person to cover your stay.

Extension of stay

You can only extend Schengen visas in exceptional circumstances, such as force majeure or for humanitarian reasons.

If you're an EU/EEA national and plan to stay longer than 90 days to live in Sweden, you must register with the Swedish Migration Agency within 90 days of arrival (www.migrationsverket.se). You must also apply for a Swedish ID number from your local tax office.

Non-EU/EEA nationals must apply for a residence permit if staying beyond 90 days.

Entry with pets

If bringing a pet from another EU country, your animal must have a microchip, pet passport and rabies vaccination certificate. Animals arriving from outside the EU must have a microchip, rabies vaccination certificate and veterinary certificate issued by an official veterinarian.

Embassies and tourist offices

Embassy of Sweden in the USA
Telephone: (202) 467 2600. Website: www.swedenabroad.se Opening times: Mon-Fri: 0830-1200, 1300-1700.
Embassy of Sweden in the UK
Telephone: (020) 7917 6400. Website: http://www.swedenabroad.com/london Opening times: Mon-Fri 0900-1200 and 1400-1600 (general enquiries); Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri 0900-1100 (visa applications).

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

With more than 50 years experience CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral have become the largest and most well-established travel visa and passport company in the world.

CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral has the tools, experience, and global network necessary to effectively reduce the time associated with obtaining travel documents and legalisations.

VisaCentral offer:

  • Unmatched Speed.
  • Full Line of Services.
  • Proprietary Database.
  • Travel Visa and Passport Specialists.
  • Secure Process.
  • Real-time Order Tracking.
dummy banner image
Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.