Mexico Visa and Passport Requirements

Passport required Return ticket required Visa required
Australian Yes Yes No
British Yes Yes No
Canadian Yes Yes No
EU Yes Yes No
USA Yes Yes No

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

Apply for one now! Preferred suppliers of Visas and Passports by World Travel Guide

A passport valid for the duration of stay is required by nationals referred to in the chart above.


Visas are not required by nationals referred to in the chart above travelling for touristic or business purposes. When entering the country by land for touristic stays, these nationals must apply for a tourist card (FMM - Forma Migratoria Múltiple) online. Tourist cards are no longer required when entering the country by air. Travelers of legal age can use the e-gates on site when entering the country via Cancun and Mexico City airports. There, they will automatically receive entry tickets showing the permitted length of their stay. When entering via other airports or when being a minor, border officials will stamp the permitted length of stay into the passport. Under no circumstances is there a right to the maximum possible stay of 180 days. At the port of entry to Mexico, the Migration official will determine the duration of stay in Mexico of the foreign national. 

Cruise ship passengers of all nationalities are exempted from a visa when staying within the boundaries that were agreed upon between the government of Mexico and the cruise ship company.

Visa note

Nationals not referred to in the chart are advised to contact the embassy to check visa requirements for Mexico.

Types and cost

Tourist visa: £42.93.


Tourist visa: up to six months.

Application to

Consulate (or consular section at embassy).

Working days

Visa processing usually takes two working days.

Sufficient funds

Visitors who do require a visa need to provide payslips or bank statements from the six months preceding their application.

Entry with children

The Mexican authorities have suspended the need for children travelling alone to carry a notarised permit from their parents to leave the country; this now only applies to Mexican nationals or foreigners residing permanently or temporarily in Mexico.

Entry with pets

If you wish to bring your pet into Mexico, you must present a veterinary certificate to the Office of Agriculture and Health Inspection at your port of entry. This must certify that your animal has been inspected, is in good health and has been vaccinated against rabies.

Embassies and tourist offices

Mexican Embassy in the USA
Telephone: (202) 728 1600. Website: Opening times: Mon-Fri 0900-1800.
Mexican Embassy in the UK
Telephone: (020) 7499 8586. Website: Opening times: Mon-Fri 0900-1300.
British Embassy in Mexico
Telephone: (55) 1670 3200. Website: Opening times: Mon-Thurs 0800-1630; Fri 0800-1400.

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

With more than 50 years experience CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral have become the largest and most well-established travel visa and passport company in the world.

CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral has the tools, experience, and global network necessary to effectively reduce the time associated with obtaining travel documents and legalisations.

VisaCentral offer:

  • Unmatched Speed.
  • Full Line of Services.
  • Proprietary Database.
  • Travel Visa and Passport Specialists.
  • Secure Process.
  • Real-time Order Tracking.

Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.