Getting around Kiribati


Air Kiribati ( and Coral Sun Airways ( operate internal flights to nearly all the outer islands.

Side of road
Road quality

All-weather roads are limited to urban Tarawa and Christmas Island.

Car hire

You can rent cars, motorbikes and scooters in South Tarawa. Car hire is also available on Christmas Island. In the outer Gilbert Islands, you can rent motorbikes or small trucks.


There are no taxis in Kiribati.


Privately owned buses are available in Tarawa and Christmas Island. Buses are fairly cheap and you can flag them down nearly anywhere.


International Driving Permit required.

By water

Several passenger ferries run between the smaller islands. Boats are available for hire.

Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.