Japan Visa and Passport Requirements

Passport required Return ticket required Visa required
Australian Yes Yes No
British Yes Yes No
Canadian Yes Yes No
EU Yes Yes No
USA Yes Yes No

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

Apply for one now! Preferred suppliers of Visas and Passports by World Travel Guide

To enter Japan, a passport valid for the duration of intended stay is required by all nationals referred to in the chart above. Please note that passport validity requirements may change, so it is recommended that your passport should be valid for at least three months.

Passport note

Whether or not they hold a visa, visitors to Japan need to prove that they have sufficient financial resources to support their stay and onward or return tickets to reduce the risk of being refused entry. Also, visitors with a criminal record should contact the nearest Japanese embassy before travelling to make sure that they are allowed to enter Japan.


Nationals of 68 countries can visit Japan without a visa for up to 90 days (unless otherwise stated) are: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei (14 days), Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia (15 days), Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Singapore, Surinam, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand (15 days), Tunisia, Turkey, Uruguay, United Arab Emirates (30 days), United Kingdom, and United States of America. Please also see the notes below.

Nationals of Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Serbia: visas are not required only for holders of ePassport in compliance with ICAO standards.

Nationals of Barbados, Turkey, and Lesotho: visas are not required only for holders of Machine-Readable Passport (MRP) or ePassport in compliance with ICAO standards.

Nationals of the United Arab Emirates: visas are not required only for those who have registered ICAO-compliant ePassport to diplomatic missions of Japan (the embassy, consulates-general, or the consulate).

Nationals of Hong Kong: visas are not required only for holders of Special Administrative Region (SAR) passports issued by the Hong Kong SAR of the People's Republic of China or British National Overseas (BNO) passports who have the right of residence in Hong Kong.

Nationals of Macau: visas are not required only for holders of SAR passports issued by the Macao SAR of the People's Republic of China.

If you have a criminal record, please contact the nearest Japanese embassy before your trip.

Types and cost

Transit visa: ¥700
Single-entry visa: ¥3,000
Multiple-entry visa: ¥6,000
Fees are collected in the currency of the country in which the embassy or consulate general is located. Also, fees vary according to one's nationality and the purpose of one's visit.


Single-entry visa: three months validity
Multiple-entry visa: one year to five years validity.


Passengers in transit and not leaving the airport do not require a visa. If you wish to leave the airport during transit and are not a visa-exempt national, you must obtain a transit visa.

Application to

Contact the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate.

Working days

Approximately five working days, provided that there are no further checks required.

Sufficient funds

You may be asked to prove that you have sufficient funds for the proposed trip.

Extension of stay

If you wish to extend your stay, you must apply to a regional immigration office in Japan.

Entry with children

If travelling as a single parent or non-relative with children, documentary evidence of parental responsibility or guardianship may be required on entry.

Entry with pets

Animal quarantine can take several months. You can find detailed information from the Animal Quarantine Service (www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/im_index.html).

Embassies and tourist offices

Embassy of Japan in the USA
Telephone: +1 202 238 6700 or 6800 (visa section). Website: https://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp Opening times: Mon-Fri 0900-1230 and 1400-1730 (0915-1230 and 1330-1630 for the visa section).
Embassy of Japan in the UK
Telephone: +44 20 7465 6500 or 6565 (visa section). Website: www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp Opening times: Mon-Fri 0930-1800 (Mon-Fri 0930-1630 for the visa section).
British Embassy in Japan
Telephone: +81 03 5211 1100. Website: www.gov.uk/world/organisations/british-embassy-tokyo Opening times: Mon-Fri 0930-1630.
US Embassy in Japan
Telephone: +81 03 3224 5000. Website: https://jp.usembassy.gov/

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

With more than 50 years experience CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral have become the largest and most well-established travel visa and passport company in the world.

CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral has the tools, experience, and global network necessary to effectively reduce the time associated with obtaining travel documents and legalisations.

VisaCentral offer:

  • Unmatched Speed.
  • Full Line of Services.
  • Proprietary Database.
  • Travel Visa and Passport Specialists.
  • Secure Process.
  • Real-time Order Tracking.
Shochuawamori /></a></div><div class=
Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.