Copenhagen Harbour, Denmark
Pin This
Open Media Gallery

Copenhagen Harbour, Denmark

© / Aleksandr Bondarchiuk

Denmark Travel Guide

Key Facts

43,098 sq km (16,640 sq miles).


5,773,664 (estimate 2019).

Population density

134 per sq km.




Constitutional monarchy.

Head of state

King Frederik X since 2024.

Head of government

Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen since June 2019.


220 volts AC, 50Hz. European plugs with two round pins are used, sometimes with a third grounding pin.

Consistently ranked in the top three of the world's happiest nations, Denmark is a prosperous country with strong social benefits and low income inequality ratings.

Copenhagen, the capital, is a cool, cosmopolitan city whose debonair inhabitants foster an affable atmosphere more typical of a small town than capital city. Synonymous with bold architecture and cutting-edge design, Copenhagen is also a culinary pioneer. The city's cobbled streets and windswept squares harbour some of the best restaurants in the world, most notably Noma, the brilliant brainchild of Rene Redzepi.

The pedestrianised city centre of Copenhagen is a breeze to navigate – visitors can feel the pulse of the city in the Meatpacking District, rummage around the antique shops in the multicultural Nørrebro neighbourhood, embrace communal living in Freetown Christiania, and of course there is Nyhavn, best known for its quaint harbour, colourful merchants' houses and throbbing nightlife.

But there's more to Denmark than its cool capital. Zealand, the island on which Copenhagen sits, is also home to Roskilde – once the Viking capital of Denmark. Along with a soaring UNESCO-listed cathedral, there's a museum housing some of the best-preserved Viking ships ever uncovered and a smattering of pretty cafés, shops and galleries. Since 1971, the city also hosts the annual Roskilde Festival with all proceeds going directly to humanitarian and cultural causes.

Odense on the island of Funen is also a worthy diversion. The birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen (his yellow house on a cobbled street in the centre of Odense is now a poet museum), Odense is a cultural gem where you don’t have to wrestle with throngs of tourists.

To the north, the Jutland west coast stretches for more than 500km (311 miles) from the marshlands of South Jutland to drifting sand dunes and wide sandy beaches of North Jutland. Skagen, Denmark's northernmost town on the east coast of the Skagen Odde peninsula in the far north of Jutland, is a favourite holiday destination among Danish families who come to bask on golden beaches and watch scintillating Scandinavian sunsets. Life is blissful here, it is little wonder that Denmark is one of the world’s happiest countries.

Travel Advice

This travel advice also covers the Faroe Islands and Greenland. 

Before you travel

No travel can be guaranteed safe. Read all the advice in this guide and any specific travel advice that applies to you:

Travel insurance

If you choose to travel, research your destinations and get appropriate travel insurance. Insurance should cover your itinerary, planned activities and expenses in an emergency.

About FCDO travel advice

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides advice about risks of travel to help British nationals make informed decisions. Find out more about FCDO travel advice.

Follow and contact FCDO travel on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also sign up to get email notifications when this advice is updated.

This information is for people travelling on a full ‘British citizen’ passport from the UK. It is based on the UK government’s understanding of the current rules for the most common types of travel. 

The authorities in Denmark set and enforce entry rules. If you’re not sure how these requirements apply to you, contact the Danish Embassy in the UK.

COVID-19 rules

There are no COVID-19 testing or vaccination requirements for passengers entering Denmark, Greenland or the Faroe Islands.

Passport validity requirements

Denmark follows Schengen area rules. Your passport must:

  • have a ‘date of issue’ less than 10 years before the date you arrive – if you renewed your passport before 1 October 2018, it may have a date of issue that is more than 10 years ago
  • have an ‘expiry date’ at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave the Schengen area

Check with your travel provider that your passport and other travel documents meet requirements. Renew your passport if you need to.

You will be denied entry if you do not have a valid travel document or try to use a passport that has been reported lost or stolen.

Visa requirements

You can travel without a visa to the Schengen area, which includes Denmark, for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. This applies if you travel:

  • as a tourist
  • to visit family or friends
  • to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events
  • for short-term studies or training

The requirements for working in Denmark are different.

If you’re travelling to other Schengen countries as well, make sure your whole visit is within the 90-day visa-free limit. Visits to Schengen countries in the 180 days before you travel count towards your 90 days.

Make sure you get your passport stamped on entry and exit.

If you’re a visitor, border guards will look at your entry and exit stamps to check you have not overstayed the 90-day visa-free limit for the Schengen area.

If your passport is missing a stamp, show evidence of when and where you entered or left the Schengen area (for example, boarding passes or tickets) and ask the border guards to add the date and location in your passport.

At Danish border control, you may also need to:

  • show a return or onward ticket
  • prove that you have enough money for your stay – the amount varies depending on your accommodation

Staying longer than 90 days in a 180-day period

To stay longer, you must meet the Danish government’s entry requirements.

If you stay in Denmark with a residence permit or long-stay visa, this does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit.

Read about passport stamping if you live in Denmark.

ID for travel from Denmark to Sweden

If you are travelling from Denmark to Sweden, see information on border control requirements.

Visas for Greenland and the Faroe Islands

Greenland and the Faroe Islands are not members of the EU. You do not need a visa to enter for tourism. If you plan to live and work there, you must get a work and residence permit – apply for residence in Greenland or the Faroe Islands.

Vaccine requirements

For details about medical entry requirements and recommended vaccinations, see:

Customs rules

There are strict rules about goods you can take into or out of Denmark. You must declare anything that may be prohibited or subject to tax or duty.

It is illegal to import whale products from Greenland or the Faroe Islands into the UK or EU. You could be fined up to £5,000 or given a prison sentence.

Taking food into Denmark

You cannot take meat, milk or products containing them into EU countries. There are some exceptions such as powdered baby milk, baby food and special foods or pet feed required for medical reasons.

Taking money into Denmark

Declare cash or travellers cheques if the value is 10,000 euros or more. You will get a certified declaration to show you brought it in with you. If you do not, your money could be seized when you leave.


There is a high threat of terrorist attack globally affecting UK interests and British nationals, including from groups and individuals who view the UK and British nationals as targets. Stay aware of your surroundings at all times.

UK Counter Terrorism Policing has information and advice on staying safe abroad and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. Find out how to reduce your risk from terrorism while abroad.

Terrorism in Denmark

Terrorist attacks in Denmark cannot be ruled out.

Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by foreigners.


Protecting yourself and your belongings

Crime levels are generally low, but pickpockets and bag-snatchers operate in crowded areas, mainly in Copenhagen.

Thieves use a variety of methods to distract you, particularly on crowded public transport. They sometimes also operate in hotel lobbies, cafes and restaurants.

Keep your personal belongings, including passports and money, safe. Keep an eye on luggage, including in the overhead baggage compartment, when travelling on trains to and from the airport.

Pickpocketing and bag-snatching are common in the following areas of Copenhagen:

  • the central station
  • Nørreport Station
  • the main shopping street, Strøget
  • other areas popular with tourists such as Christiania, Nyhavn and Kongens Nytorv
  • inside Copenhagen Kastrup Airport

Take extra care in Christiania and Nørrebro, particularly late at night. There have been some instances of gang violence in these areas.

Laws and cultural differences

Dress code

It’s illegal to wear clothing that conceals your face in a public place in Denmark. There are legal exemptions – for example, face masks for health reasons. If you cover your face in public, you may get a fine of 1,000 krone (around £115). If you do it again, the fine can increase.

Illegal drugs and prison sentences

Do not get involved with illegal drugs of any kind. Although Denmark is generally a liberal society, drug use is illegal and the Danish authorities enforce the law. You will not be treated more leniently than residents. Drug dealers can receive heavy sentences. If you are found with illegal drugs thought to be for personal consumption, you may get a fine or prison sentence.

LGBT+ travellers

Same-sex relationships and marriage are legal in Denmark.

Read advice for LGBT+ travellers.   

Transport risks

Road travel

If you are planning to drive in Denmark, see information on driving abroad and check the rules of the road in the RAC’s Denmark guide. The guide lists driving regulations and other legal requirements you need to be aware of.

You can use a UK photocard driving licence to drive in Denmark. If you still have a paper driving licence, you may need to update it to a photocard licence or get the correct version of the international driving permit (IDP) as well.

Hire car companies often have stricter requirements for their customers, such as a year of driving experience and a higher minimum age.  

Cyclists often have the right of way. Always check cycle lanes before turning right. Pedestrians also often have right of way to cross ahead of you if you are turning at traffic lights.

Check if you need a UK sticker to drive your car outside the UK.

Bicycles and scooters

Many bicycle accidents happen when pedestrians do not give the right of way to bicycles. There are online guides in English on cycling in Denmark at Visit Copenhagen and the Danish Cyclists’ Federation (’Cyklistforbundet’).

Electric scooters are subject to road traffic rules. If you hire and use a scooter under the influence of alcohol, you could be prosecuted for drink-driving and you may be fined.

Arctic travel

Greenland is in the Arctic Circle, and most of it is very remote. Emergency medical assistance and search and rescue services are limited in these areas. See Arctic travel safety advice.


Travel between towns is by air, sea or dogsled only. Arctic weather can affect travel, and you should be prepared for delays and cancellations.

There is limited tourist accommodation around the international airport in Kangerlussuaq. During busy periods or when there is travel disruption, there may be no beds available unless you have booked ahead.

Supply chains are limited and travel times are long. Make sure you travel with sufficient prescription medication for all of your time in Greenland.

The Faroe Islands

Smaller roads may be unpaved and winding.

The weather can change quickly, and you should prepare appropriately for the activity you are planning.

Before you travel check that:

  • your destination can provide the healthcare you may need
  • you have appropriate travel insurance for local treatment or unexpected medical evacuation

This is particularly important if you have a health condition or are pregnant.

Emergency medical number

Dial 112 and ask for an ambulance.

Contact your insurance or medical assistance company quickly if you’re referred to a medical facility for treatment.

Vaccine recommendations and health risks

At least 8 weeks before your trip:

See what other health risks you’ll face in Denmark, Greenland and Faroe Islands.

Altitude sickness is a risk in parts of Greenland. Read more about altitude sickness on TravelHealthPro.


The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or bought in the UK can be different in other countries.

Read best practice when travelling with medicines on TravelHealthPro.

Denmark does not recognise UK prescriptions. If you need medication, you should speak to a local pharmacist (‘Apotek’), who will be able to tell you if you need a prescription from a local GP.

Healthcare in Denmark

FCDO has a list of medical providers in Denmark where some staff will speak English.

Health insurance cards in Denmark

To get medically necessary state healthcare in Denmark, you need a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) or a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

The NHS’s getting healthcare abroad webpage has details about:

  • how to apply for a GHIC
  • how to get temporary cover if you lose your card or it does not arrive in time
  • who qualifies for a new EHIC instead of a GHIC
  • what treatment counts as medically necessary

A GHIC or EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. You may have costs your GHIC or EHIC does not cover, including:

  • changes to travel and accommodation bookings
  • additional standard costs for treatment
  • medical repatriation to the UK
  • treatment that is ruled non-urgent
  • private healthcare
  • private clinics

There is also guidance on healthcare if you’re living in Denmark.

Health insurance cards in Greenland

You will not be refused treatment, but an EHIC or GHIC will not cover the costs unless you are resident of a Nordic country, under the reciprocal agreement, or a resident of Denmark. You can find more details about medical assistance available during a temporary stay in Greenland.

You may also have to cover the cost of medical evacuation.

Health insurance cards in Faroe Islands

You cannot use a GHIC or EHIC in the Faroe Islands. The UK has reciprocal agreements with the Faroe Islands, so British nationals can get the same medical treatment they would with a GHIC or EHIC. This arrangement is not a substitute for travel insurance.

If you travel to the Faroe Islands, you should still take your GHIC or EHIC with you. You’ll need to provide proof of identity and nationality, such as your UK passport.

Travel and mental health

Read FCDO guidance on travel and mental health. There is also mental health guidance on TravelHealthPro.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) cannot provide tailored advice for individual trips. Read this travel advice and carry out your own research before deciding whether to travel.

Emergency services in Denmark

Telephone: 112 (ambulance, fire, police).

Contact your travel provider and insurer

Contact your travel provider and your insurer if you are involved in a serious incident or emergency abroad. They will tell you if they can help and what you need to do.

Refunds and changes to travel

For refunds or changes to travel, contact your travel provider. You may also be able to make a claim through insurance. However, insurers usually require you to talk to your travel provider first.

Find out more about changing or cancelling travel plans, including:

  • where to get advice if you are in a dispute with a provider
  • how to access previous versions of travel advice to support a claim

Support from FCDO

FCDO has guidance on staying safe and what to do if you need help or support abroad, including:

Contacting FCDO

Follow and contact FCDO travel on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also sign up to get email notifications when this travel advice is updated.

You can also contact FCDO online.

Help abroad in an emergency

If you are in Denmark and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the British Embassy in Copenhagen.

FCDO in London

You can call FCDO in London if you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad.

Telephone: 020 7008 5000 (24 hours)

Find out about call charges

Risk information for British companies

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating in Denmark on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.