Italy Visa and Passport Requirements

Passport required Return ticket required Visa required
Australian Yes No No
British Yes No No
Canadian Yes No No
Other EU 1 No No
USA Yes No No

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

Apply for one now! Preferred suppliers of Visas and Passports by World Travel Guide

A passport valid for six months beyond the length of stay and issued within the past 10 years is required by all nationals listed in the chart above except British and other EU nationals holding a passport or national ID card which is valid for the duration of stay.

If travelling from one border-free Schengen country to another however, EU nationals are not required to show a passport or national ID card. They must, however, still travel with a passport or ID card to prove their identity if necessary.

EU nationals are not required to possess a return ticket or show sufficient funds.

Passport note

There are no formalities required to enter the Vatican City, but entry will always be via Rome, and you must therefore comply with Italian regulations. 

Only certain areas of the Vatican City are open to the public; these include St Peter's Church, St Peter's Square, the Vatican Museums and the Vatican Gardens. Special permission is required to visit areas other than those mentioned.

There are no border formalities in San Marino, provided you comply with Italian regulations.



Visas are not required by the nationals referred to in the chart above for the following durations:

• Nationals of EU countries for an unlimited period.

• Nationals of Australia, Canada and the USA for stays of up to 90 days.

Nationals not referred to in the chart are advised to contact the embassy to check visa requirements for Italy.

Types and cost

Schengen visas are available to short-stay travellers from non-member states (cost: €60/£51.60). Reduced fees are available for some nationalities and for children. The single-entry visa allows travellers to enter the Schengen area once and travel within it. The multiple-entry visa allows you to enter and leave the Schengen area multiple times within the allocated time permitted.


Schengen visa: up to 90 days within a six-month period.


Certain nationals (but not those listed above) require a transit visa; check with the consulate.

Application to

To apply for a Schengen visa to enter Italy you need to apply in person to the nearest Italian embassy or consulate. All visa applicants aged 12 and over must submit biometric data at their visa appointment.

Schengen visas

Italy is a member of the Schengen Agreement.

Temporary residence

If you plan on residing in Italy for a longer period of time you will need permission to remain (apermesso di soggiorno). This entitles you to study and work legally. To apply you will require a valid passport (stamped with your date of entry), a visa issued in your own country (for non-EU citizens) and proof of your ability to support yourself financially. To apply, visit the foreigner’s bureau (ufficio stranier) of the local police station. EU citizens do not require any permits to live or work in Italy. However, after three months' continuous residency you must register at the municipal registry office (anagrafe) and provide proof of work or sufficient funds to support yourself.

Working days

Allow five to 10 days for visa processing, though some cases may take longer.

Sufficient funds

If you require a visa, you must be able to show sufficient funds to cover your stay in the Schengen area. On average, a budget of £50 per day is recommended. You should submit an original current bank statement covering the three-month period before the date of application for the visa.

Entry documents

Those travelling on a Schengen visa may be requested to present copies of the following: travel insurance, confirmed return flight, hotel reservation confirmation or a letter of support from friends or family you may be staying with.

Extension of stay

It is generally only possible to extend a Schengen visa if proof is provided of serious personal/occupational reasons, humanitarian grounds or force majeure.

Entry with pets

A pet passport is required when travelling to Italy with a pet. Dogs, cats or ferrets require an ISO pet microchip and proof of up-to-date vaccinations (including rabies) at least 21 days prior to travel. An accredited veterinarian must then complete the bilingual EU Annex II for Italy form. Dogs also require a leash and a muzzle, and some dangerous breeds may be refused entry.

Embassies and tourist offices

Italian Embassy in the USA
Telephone: +1 202 612 4400. Website: Opening times: Mon-Fri 0900-1630 (visas by appointment only).
British Embassy in Italy
Telephone: +39 6 4220 0001. Website: Opening times: By appointment only.
Italian Embassy in the UK
Telephone: +44 20 7312 2200. Website: Opening times: By appointment only.

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

With more than 50 years experience CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral have become the largest and most well-established travel visa and passport company in the world.

CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral has the tools, experience, and global network necessary to effectively reduce the time associated with obtaining travel documents and legalisations.

VisaCentral offer:

  • Unmatched Speed.
  • Full Line of Services.
  • Proprietary Database.
  • Travel Visa and Passport Specialists.
  • Secure Process.
  • Real-time Order Tracking.

Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.