Tuscan vineyard
Pin This
Open Media Gallery

Tuscan vineyard

© 123rf.com / Temistocle Lucarelli

Italy Travel Guide

Key Facts

301,340 sq km (116,348 sq miles).


59,801,004 (UN estimate 2016).

Population density

201 per sq km.





Head of state

President Sergio Mattarella since 2015.

Head of government

Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni since 2022.


230 volts AC, 50Hz. Plugs either have two round pins or three pins in a row.

Travelling around Italy remains one of those rare experiences in life – like a perfect spring day or the power of first love – that can never be overrated. In few places do history, art, fashion, food and la dolce vita (“the good life”) intermingle so effortlessly. In Italy you'll find sunny isles, glacial lakes and fiery volcanoes, rolling vineyards and urban landscapes harbouring more UNESCO World Heritage sites than any other country on Earth. Few places offer such variety and few visitors leave without a fervent desire to return.

The artistic and architectural treasures of Rome, Venice, Florence and Naples draw visitors to them like moths to a flame. Not content with Romans conquering most of the known world, the Venetians dispatched Marco Polo to uncharted lands off the map, while Giotto, Leonardo da Vinci, Brunelleschi and Michelangelo kick-started the Renaissance in Western art and architecture.

Look around at all the splendid palaces, paintings, churches and monuments and wonder at the centuries of hard graft and the unswerving devotion to traditional techniques. Like the local art, wine is also designed to elevate your spirits. From the neatly-banded stone terraces of the Cinque Terre, which snake from sea level to terrifying precipices, to the blousy hillsides of Chianti, the riverine plain of the Po valley and the volcanic slopes of Etna, Italian wines are lovingly made to complement the carefully-sourced regional cuisine on your plate.

Much like its food, this country is an endless feast of experiences. No matter how much you gorge yourself, you’ll always feel as though you're still on the first course. Do you go skiing in the Dolomites, or cycling in wine country? Do you dive the sun-split waters of Sardinia, climb Aeolian volcanoes or stalk market stalls in Naples? The choice is dazzling and bewildering. So take the advice of the locals. Slow down, sit back, tuck in that napkin and get ready to begin.

Travel Advice

This travel advice page also covers the Vatican City.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides advice about risks of travel to help British nationals make informed decisions. Find out more about FCDO travel advice.

Before you travel

No travel can be guaranteed safe. Read all of the advice in this guide and and any specific travel advice that applies to you:  

Follow FCDO travel on, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also sign up to get email notifications when this advice is updated.

Travel insurance

If you choose to travel, research your destinations and get appropriate travel insurance. Insurance should cover your itinerary, planned activities, and expenses in an emergency.

This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British Citizen’ passport from the UK, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Italy set and enforce entry rules. If you’re not sure how Italy’s entry requirements apply to you, contact Italy’s embassy, consulates in the UK.

COVID-19 rules

There are no COVID-19 testing or vaccination requirements for travellers entering Italy.

Public spaces and travel within Italy

If you are visiting a hospital intensive care ward or care home, you must wear a FFP2 mask.

Passport validity requirements

To travel to Italy, you must follow Schengen area passport requirements

To enter Italy (and all Schengen countries) your passport must: 

  • have a ‘date of issue’ less than 10 years before the date you arrive. Passports issued after 1 October 2018 are now valid for only 10 years, but for passports issued before 1 October 2018, extra months may have been added if you renewed a passport early  
  • have an ‘expiry date’ at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave  

Check with your travel provider that your passport and other travel documents meet requirements. Renew your passport if you need to. 

You will be denied entry if you do not have a valid travel document or try to use a passport that has been reported lost or stolen.

Visa requirements

You can travel to countries in the Schengen area (including Italy) for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel:

  • as a tourist
  • to visit family or friends
  • to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events
  • for short-term studies or training

If you are travelling to Italy and other Schengen countries without a visa, make sure your whole visit is within the 90-day limit. Visits to Schengen countries within the previous 180 days before you travel count towards your 90 days.

To stay longer (to work or study, for business travel or for other reasons), you must meet the Italian government’s entry requirements. Check which type of visa or work permit you may need with the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Italian Consulates in London, Manchester or Edinburgh before booking an appointment.

If you are travelling to Italy for work, read the guidance on visas and permits.

If you stay in Italy with a residence permit or long-stay visa, this does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit.

British citizens who cannot return to the UK before the expiry of their visa or permit, or the end of their visa-free limit should contact their local immigration office (‘questura’).

Checks at border control 

Temporary border checks have been introduced at Italy’s border with Slovenia, allow extra time for crossing the land border. Be ready to show your passport or residency card if you are asked to do so by the border police.

Make sure you get your passport stamped.

If you’re a visitor, your passport must be stamped when you enter or leave the Schengen area (which includes Italy). Border guards will use passport stamps to check you have not overstayed the 90-day visa-free limit for stays in the Schengen area. If your passport was not stamped, border guards will presume you have overstayed the visa-free limit.  

If your passport is missing a stamp, show evidence of when and where you entered or left the Schengen area (for example, boarding passes or tickets) and ask the border guards to add the date and location in your passport.  

Read about passport stamping if you live in Italy

At Italian border control, you may need to: 

  • show proof of your accommodation, for example, a hotel booking confirmation or proof of address if visiting your own property (for example, a second home) 
  • show proof of insurance for your trip – check FCDO’s travel insurance guidance 
  • show a return or onward ticket 
  • prove that you have enough money for your stay. The minimum amount required depends on your accommodation 
  • follow procedures if you are hosting a guest at your property in Italy

Registering with the authorities 

Unless you are staying in a hotel or B&B, if you are entering from a Schengen area country (for example, France) you must declare your presence (‘dichiarazione di presenza’) to the local immigration authority (‘questura’) within 8 days of arriving. The ‘questura’ will provide a form to complete. 

You can find more information on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Italian police force websites.

Accommodation and those aged 17 and under

Under Italian law, if you are aged 17 and under you cannot check into hotels or holiday accommodation without an accompanying adult.

Vaccination requirements (other than COVID-19)

At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the vaccinations and vaccination certificates you may need on TravelHealthPro’s Italy guide.

Customs rules

There are strict rules about goods that can be brought into and taken out of Italy. You must declare anything that may be prohibited or subject to tax or duty.

Taking food into Italy

You cannot take meat, milk or products containing them into EU countries. There are some exceptions such as powdered baby milk, baby food, and special food or pet feed required for medical reasons.


There is a high threat of terrorist attack globally affecting UK interests and British nationals, including from groups and individuals who view the UK and British nationals as targets. You should remain vigilant at all times.

UK Counter Terrorism Policing has information and advice on staying safe abroad and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. Find out how to reduce your risk from terrorism while abroad.

Terrorism in Italy

Terrorist attacks in Italy cannot be ruled out.

Events in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories 

Italian authorities have increased security around some Jewish community sites due to events in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories. Stay aware of your surroundings, stay away from demonstrations and follow the advice of local authorities.

Political demonstrations

Demonstrations may occur with little or no warning in cities. Avoid any protests, political gatherings, or marches.


Crime levels are generally low but there are higher levels of petty crime (particularly bag snatching and pickpocketing) in the big city centres, such as Rome and Milan. Thieves can use a variety of methods to distract you.

Public transport

Take care on public transport and in crowded areas in city centres including main stations and particularly in and around Termini station in Rome, where incidents of street muggings have been reported.

Be particularly careful with your belongings on trains to and from airports and cruise ship ports in Italy (especially Fiumicino airport), as well as on the Circumvesuviana train between Naples and Sorrento, and when unloading your baggage from trains and coaches.

Theft from cars

Robberies from parked cars have been reported, in Rome, particularly the Colosseum area, Ostia, Milan and Pisa. Coastal areas and towns have been targeted as well as motorway service stations. Always lock your vehicle, never leave valuables in cars and avoid leaving luggage in cars for any length of time. Thieves may use a variety of methods to distract you or encourage you to stop your car, including asking for help or directions or pointing out a fictional fault with your car.

Use a hotel safe for valuables where possible.

Be drink aware

Drinks served in bars overseas are often stronger than those in the UK. Be careful about taking drinks from strangers or leaving your drinks unattended. Victims of spiked drinks have been robbed and sometimes assaulted.

Laws and cultural differences

Personal ID

By law, you must always be able to show some form of identification. In most cases a photocopy of the data page of your passport should be enough, but you may also be asked for a second form of photo ID. The police will normally ask for your full passport if you are stopped while driving.

Public transport

Tickets on public transport must be validated in a ticket machine before you start a journey. Officials patrol public transport and will issue an on the spot fine of 100 to 500 euros (reduced to 50 euros if paid immediately) if you don’t hold a validated ticket.

Tourist tax

Many major cities in Italy impose a small tax on tourists. The tax is paid at your hotel and is usually not included in any pre-paid arrangements or package deal. The rate of tax varies from city to city and can depend on the star rating of the hotel. Hotels often ask for payment in cash. Make sure you get a receipt. For more information, check with the local tourist information office.

If you are visiting Venice, you may need to pay an access fee. 

Visit Venice town hall for information on the dates access fees will be charged, exemptions and how to make a payment.

Public offences

Some Italian towns and cities have specific laws, which you may be fined if you break. For example, there may be laws to prevent you from:

  • dropping litter
  • sitting on monument steps
  • eating and drinking next to main churches, historic monuments and public buildings
  • defacing historic monuments

It’s also an offence to enter or bathe in public fountains in many towns and cities, including Florence and Rome. A fine of up to 10,000 euros can be imposed for urinating in a public place.

On the island of Capri, you must not use or bring onto the island any disposable plastic objects such as bags, cutlery, plates, cups, food packaging, trays and straws. If you do, you can be fined up to 500 euros.

Illegal traders operate on the streets of all major Italian cities. It is illegal to buy items from unlicensed street traders. If you do, you could be stopped by the local police and fined.

It’s illegal to remove sand, shells or pebbles from coastal areas in Italy. Doing so may result in large fines. It’s also forbidden to collect various species of flowers, plants and herbs from mountain and wooded areas. For more information, check with the regional authorities of the area you’re visiting.

Winter sports

If you are planning a skiing holiday, take advice on weather and avalanche conditions before you travel and familiarise yourself with local skiing laws and regulations.

You can contact the Italian State Tourist Board for advice on safety and weather conditions before you travel.

Regulations for the ski season include:

  • third party liability insurance is a legal requirement and can be purchased locally with a ski pass
  • you must wear a helmet if you are under 18
  • you must not eat or drink on ski lifts or boarding areas
  • you must not climb a slope with snowshoes unless in a case of emergency
  • you must not ski under the influence of alcohol or drugs

Off-piste skiing is very dangerous. Follow all safety instructions meticulously given the dangers of avalanches in some areas and go with a qualified guide. For more information about the avalanche risk, visit the European Avalanche Warning Service website.

Check your insurance covers off-piste activity. It is a legal requirement for skiers and snowboarders to carry tracking equipment, a snow probe and a shovel if they go off-piste.

Find more information about staying safe while skiing and preparing for winter sports abroad.

Outdoor activities and adventure tourism

Hiking, mountaineering and other adventure sports have specific risks.

If you’re taking part in these activities, check that the company is well- established in the industry and that you’ve arranged for your insurance to cover this specific activity.

For sports activities like skiing, potholing and mountaineering, and for sports classed as particularly dangerous (for example off-piste skiing, mountain biking, climbing, paragliding or BASE jumping), your insurance should include:

  • mountain rescue services
  • helicopter costs
  • repatriation to your country of residence or possible transfer to neighbouring countries for treatment

Check weather forecasts and conditions and make sure you’re properly equipped for the worst-case scenario with items such as a map, compass, GPS and telecommunication equipment.

Risks are greater if you undertake any activity alone. You may want to hire a guide for expert advice. Always leave copies of your itinerary with someone.

Local travel

Only use officially licensed taxis. These will have a taxi sign on the roof and a taxi company name and number written on the side. Taxis should be called or taken from an official rank rather than hailed in the street.

Transport strikes are often called at short notice. You can find information on the Ministry of Transport website (in Italian).

Traffic can be busy, fast and chaotic, especially in the larger cities. Take care when crossing roads. Pedestrians should cross roads using a crossing. You can be fined for crossing the road if you are within 100 metres of a pedestrian crossing but do not use it. Drivers don’t always stop, even though they are required to. The green pedestrian crossing signal also allows cars to turn right onto the crossing, so cross with caution.

Road travel

If you are planning to drive in Italy, see information on driving abroad and read the RAC guide.

You may also want to look at the European Commission, AA and Italian Police guides on driving in Italy.

Licences and documents

If you are visiting Italy, you can drive on a full, valid UK driving licence, insurance and vehicle documents. If you’re living in Italy, or planning to live there check the living in Italy guide for information on requirements for residents.

Driving a British car abroad

You may need a UK sticker to drive your car outside the UK. Since 2021, UK stickers have replaced GB stickers. Check the government guidance on displaying number plates for more information on what to do if you are driving outside the UK.

Traffic restrictions

Private and hire cars must not enter the historic centre of many Italian cities without an official pass. You can buy a pass from most car hire companies. The boundaries of historic centres are usually marked with the letters ZTL in black on a yellow background. If you pass this sign, your registration number is likely to be caught on camera and you will be fined.

There is a congestion charge for Milan city centre. For more information see the Milan Municipality website.

To reduce pollution, city authorities in Rome sometimes restrict traffic on specific days so vehicles with odd or even number plates are not allowed on the roads in the green band (fascia verde) area, which covers most of Rome. For more information, including exceptions, see the Rome Municipality website.

Extreme weather and natural disasters

For severe weather warnings, visit the European Meteorological Services website.

Forest fires

Forest fires are a risk during the extended summer months. They are highly dangerous and unpredictable. Check latest alerts and weather forecast and follow advice of local authorities if you’re considering travelling to affected areas. Take care when visiting or driving through woodland areas and report fires to the emergency services.

For information on what to do in the event of a forest fire, visit the Civil Protection Department website.


Heavy rainfall is common throughout Italy in winter, which can cause local flooding. Monitor local media, weather reports and follow the advice of local authorities in affected areas.

High waters are a common occurrence in Venice during the winter months and can cause flooding in parts of the city.


Many parts of Italy lie on a major seismic fault line, which means that minor tremors and earthquakes are a regular occurrence. Learn more about what to do before, during, and after an earthquake.


There are several active volcanoes in southern Italy. National emergency planning has been updated for Vesuvius as well as the Phlegraean fields, an area that remains active and which has experienced tremors in 2024. Read what to do in the event of a volcanic eruption and follow the instructions of the local authorities.

Before you travel check that:

  • your destination can provide the healthcare you may need
  • you have appropriate travel insurance for local treatment or unexpected medical evacuation

This is particularly important if you have a health condition or are pregnant.

Emergency medical number

Dial 118 and ask for an ambulance.

Contact your insurance or medical assistance company promptly if you’re referred to a medical facility for treatment.

For more information, read our guidance on healthcare when travelling in Europe.

Vaccinations and health risks

At least 8 weeks before your trip check:

Altitude sickness is a risk in parts of Italy, including the Alps and the Dolomites. More information about altitude sickness is available from

There have been cases of the mosquito-borne disease, dengue fever, in Italy. You should take appropriate precautions to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes .


The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or bought in the UK can be different in other countries.

TravelHealthPro explains best practice when travelling with medicines.

The NHS has information on whether you can take your medicine abroad.

Health insurance cards

Apply for a free UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) before leaving the UK. If you already have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) it will still be valid as long as it remains in date.

The GHIC or EHIC entitles you to state- provided medical treatment necessary during your trip. Any treatment provided is on the same terms as Italian nationals. If you don’t have your EHIC with you or you’ve lost it, contact the NHS Overseas Healthcare Team.

It’s important to take out appropriate travel insurance for your needs. A GHIC or EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance and you should have both before you travel. A GHIC or EHIC does not cover all health-related costs, for example, medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment and non-urgent treatment. Read more about what your travel insurance should cover.

You can find details of English-speaking doctors in Italy on our list of healthcare providers.

GHIC and or EHIC cover state healthcare only, not private treatment. You will be responsible for the cost of any treatment provided by a private doctor or private clinic.

Pharmacies and doctors

Unlike in the UK, you will need to go to a pharmacy to get most over-the-counter medicines. Pharmacies are widely available and are usually identified by a green cross. UK prescriptions are not accepted, though you may be able to buy an equivalent medication from the pharmacy. Alternatively, you can visit an Italian GP to obtain a local prescription. Prescription medicines are not free in Italy, but with an EHIC or GHIC, and an Italian prescription, you will pay a reduced rate.

Travel and mental health

Read FCDO guidance on travel and mental health. There is also guidance on TravelHealthPro.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) cannot provide tailored advice for individual trips. Read this travel advice and carry out your own research before deciding whether to travel.

Emergency services in Italy

If you need to contact the emergency services, call these numbers:

Ambulance: 118

Fire: 115

Police: 112

You can also download the 112 Where Are U app, the official European emergency number app. It is only available in some parts of Italy.

Contact your travel provider and insurer

Contact your travel provider and your insurer if you are involved in a serious incident or emergency abroad. They will tell you if they can help and what you need to do.

Refunds and changes to travel

For refunds or changes to travel, contact your travel provider. You may also be able to make a claim through insurance. However, insurers usually require you to talk to your travel provider first.

Find out more about changing or cancelling travel plans, including:

  • where to get advice if you are in a dispute with a provider
  • how to access previous versions of travel advice to support a claim

Support from FCDO

FCDO has guidance on staying safe and what to do if you need help or support abroad, including:

Find more support for British nationals abroad.

Contacting FCDO

Follow and contact FCDO travel on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also sign up to get email notifications when this travel advice is updated.

Help abroad in an emergency

If you are abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

You can also contact FCDO online.

FCDO in London

You can call FCDO in London if you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad.

Telephone: 020 7008 5000 (24 hours)

Find out about call charges

Risk information for British companies

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.