Valle de la Luna, Chile
Pin This
Open Media Gallery

Valle de la Luna, Chile

© / Joris Van Ostaeyen

Chile Travel Guide

Key Facts

756,102 sq km (291,932 sq miles).


18,131,850 (UN estimate 2016).

Population density

24 per sq km.





Head of state

President Sebastián Piñera since 2018.

Head of government

President Sebastián Piñera since 2018.


220 volts AC, 50Hz. Plugs with with either two circular pins or three pins in a line are used.

A narrow slither of land wedged between the Pacific and the Andes, Chile stands as a nation apart in South America – both literally and figuratively. The mountains cut the country off from Argentina and Bolivia to the east, while the expansive Atacama Desert separates it from Peru to the north. And to the south, beyond the country’s infamous Cape Horn headland, lies nothing but ocean and Antarctica. But far from being a curse, this isolation has created a very special destination indeed.

Whether you fancy road-tripping the endless Carretera Austral, climbing the peaks of Torres del Paine National Park or surfing the brutal waves of Punta de Lobos in Pichilemu, Chile is deserving of its reputation as one of the world’s best destinations for adventure tourism. It’s not just for thrill-seekers, though. From its incredible night skies and Mapuche Indian heritage to its vibrant arts scene and vertiginous vineyards, this is a country that caters for travellers of all hues. The Chileans themselves, meanwhile, tend to be warm and open, so absorbing what the country has to offer is generally a joy.

The country hasn’t always had it easy, of course, and the tribulations of the Pinochet era can be explored in the dynamic capital, Santiago. The city’s buzzing boulevards and arty neighbourhoods feel a million miles away from Chile’s more famous attractions, and this in itself tells you how broad the country’s offering is – this is a land that not only includes vast swathes of Patagonian wilderness and the glacier-threaded waterways of Tierra del Fuego, but also incorporates the remote, statue-studded landmass of Easter Island.

Whether you’re seeking solitude as a leisurely backpacker or taking on the big sights in unbridled luxury, consider yourself warned – once you’ve experienced the myriad attractions Chile has to offer, you may find other destinations fall somewhat short.

Travel Advice

Coronavirus travel health

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Chile on the TravelHealthPro website.

See the TravelHealthPro website for further advice on travel abroad and reducing spread of respiratory viruses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

International travel

If you plan to leave Chile, make sure you have not overstayed on your Chilean visa – this could affect your departure. If you have any concerns about visa renewal, visit the Chilean Immigration Office website for further information.

Entry and borders

See Entry requirements to find out what you will need to do when you arrive in Chile.

Returning to the UK

Travelling from and returning to the UK

Check what you must do to travel abroad and return to England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

If you plan to pass through another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting. If you will pass through a red list country, book your hotel quarantine package before travelling to the UK.

You are responsible for organising your own COVID-19 test, in line with UK government testing requirements. You should contact local authorities for information on testing facilities (in Spanish, under the ‘Laboratories PCR SARS-CoV-2’ tab).

Be prepared for your plans to change

No travel is risk-free during COVID. Countries may further restrict travel or bring in new rules at short notice, for example due to a new COVID-19 variant. Check with your travel company or airline for any transport changes which may delay your journey home.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there.

Plan ahead and make sure you:

  • can access money
  • understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away for longer than planned

Travel in Chile

Travellers arriving in Chile should be aware that local authorities frequently move municipalities (comunas) back and forth through the government Stages Plan (Paso a Paso). You should review the Chilean Government Paso a Paso website to check which stage your ‘comuna’ is in.

If you are travelling from or to the airport to catch a flight from or to one of the areas under quarantine, presenting your passport and boarding pass will permit you to cross any checkpoints. Use a recognised taxi service or airport transfer whose driver should have the requisite permissions.

Mobility Pass for interregional travel

Travellers (including children aged 12 and up) are required to hold a Mobility Pass for interregional travel. More details on accepted vaccines and the process to apply for the Mobility Pass, including the documents required to validate the vaccination, is available here (in Spanish).

The Chilean government allows Chileans, foreigners resident in Chile and non-resident foreigners who have been vaccinated overseas to register for Chile’s Mobility Pass scheme (‘Pase de Movilidad’). You may obtain a Mobility Pass if you fulfil the eligibility criteria on the Chile Government’s MeVacuno website. This will generate a QR-code after entering your personal information. This permit can only be requested 14-days after completing a full COVID-19 vaccination course in Chile (i.e. after the second dose for a two-dose course COVID-19 vaccine such as AstraZeneca, Pfizer, etc).

Interregional travellers without a Mobility Pass are required to provide proof of a negative PCR-test result given within 72 hours prior to travel. This test must be carried out in Chile. You should be aware that you are not allowed interregional travel if you are in quarantine after arriving in Chile. Non-resident foreign nationals will need to hold a valid Mobility Pass.

For use of the Mobility Pass for domestic transfers upon entry to Chile, see the ‘Entry requirements’ section.

Paso a Paso Strategy

The Chilean government’s strategy to manage COVID-19 is called ‘Paso A Paso’. It has five stages:

  • Stage 1 - Restriction
  • Stage 2 - Transition
  • Stage 3 - Preparation
  • Stage 4 - Initial Reopening
  • Stage 5 - Advanced Reopening

Individual comunas will move forwards or backwards between these stages, depending on the level of COVID-19 infections in the region. Changes to the stage of a ‘comuna’ can be announced by the government at any time and come into force shortly after. All rules for each Stage (Paso) will apply seven-days a week.

In those areas under Stage 1 ‘Restriction’ you are only allowed to leave your residence under certain circumstances, including for medical reasons, basic services, and public services. If you need to leave your residence for food or medical supplies, you must get a permit from the Comisaria Virtual. Foreigners may use their passport number to access the system. The pages are only in Spanish.

For further detailed information on rules for every Stage, you should review the Chilean Government Paso a Paso website.

Public places and services

Chilean authorities require the use of facemasks in all public spaces, that you keep to social distancing rules; self-isolate immediately if you suspect you have been in contact with a confirmed COVID case irrespective of the ‘Paso a Paso’ stage.

Healthcare in Chile

Further advice and information (in Spanish) is available on the Ministry of Health (Ministerio de Salud) website.

For contact details for English speaking doctors visit our list of healthcare providers.

Your emotional and mental wellbeing is important. Read guidance on how to look after your mental wellbeing and mental health.

If you think you have COVID-19 symptoms, you should call the Health Ministry’s COVID-19 hotline on 6003607777.

View Health for further details on healthcare in Chile.

COVID-19 vaccines if you live in Chile

We will update this page when the Government of Chile announces new information on the national vaccination programme. You can sign up to get email notifications when this page is updated.

The Chilean national vaccination programme started in December 2020 and is using the Pfizer-BioNTech, Sinovac, CanSino and AstraZeneca vaccines. The Government of Chile has stated that British nationals resident in Chile are eligible for vaccination if they choose to join the programme, however tourists are not included. Further information is available on the Chilean Government website (in Spanish). Resident Foreign Nationals can apply for their vaccine according to the schedule on the Chilean Government website (key workers, the elderly and those with underlying health conditions have been prioritised). Vaccination in Chile is voluntary and free of charge. Resident foreign nationals must present proof of their resident status.

The Chilean vaccination programme also permits residents aged 12-17 to register for a Pfizer-BioNTech vaccination and those aged 3-11 to register for a SinoVac vaccination.

Find out more, including about vaccines that are authorised in the UK or approved by the World Health Organisation, on the COVID-19 vaccines if you live abroad.

If you’re a British national living in Chile, you should seek medical advice from your local healthcare provider. Information about COVID-19 vaccines used in the national programme where you live, including regulatory status, should be available from local authorities.


For information on financial support you can access whilst abroad, visit our financial assistance guidance.

Further information

If you need urgent consular assistance, you can contact the British Embassy on +56223704100, pressing 1 for English and then follow the instructions.


There have been reports of people being robbed by bogus and unlicensed taxi drivers, including airport taxis. We advise to only use official and/or pre-booked taxis and to ask taxi drivers for proof of reservation.

There have been incidents involving people being followed from Santiago International Airport to their destinations and then robbed, sometimes at gunpoint. The British Embassy has noted an increase in ‘car-jacking’ and general crime in and around Santiago, especially in affluent areas. Be aware of your surroundings in and around the airport, when driving away and on arrival at your destination. In case of an incident, do not offer resistance.

Criminals will often target vehicles entering/exiting private residences, in affluent areas, while the gates are opening/closing. Keep vehicle doors locked and windows closed and wait for the gates to fully close before exiting your vehicle.

There have been a number of incidents in major cities where those driving rental cars have been victims of crime. The perpetrators puncture the car’s tyres surreptitiously (often while at traffic lights) and then target the vehicle when the occupants notice the flat tyre. Often the victims do not notice the theft is taking place as an accomplice will distract while another steals valuables from the vehicle. Remain vigilant and keep valuables secure in this event. Other incidents include the interception of locking cars when drivers remotely activate the lock. Always double check that the car is locked.

Pick pocketing and muggings are common in many cities throughout Chile, particularly around affluent or well-known tourist sites including airports, bus stations, ports and popular areas visited by foreigners. Pay particular attention to your belongings in popular foreign cafes and restaurants where there has been an increase in bag theft. In restaurants, never hang your handbag over the chair or leave your cellphone on the table. There have been reports of violent muggings in areas popular with tourists in Santiago and Valparaiso. The British Embassy is aware of an increase in the use of weapons, such as pistols and knives. These muggings can take place during the day and in plain sight of others. Be vigilant in public, particularly if you are in places popular among tourists or near official buildings. Avoid carrying large amounts of money, passport (a photocopy is sufficient if needed), wearing valuable watches or jewellery or using your mobile phone while walking on the streets. Local authorities recommend not to resist muggers.

Avoid putting any valuables in the storage compartments of buses and coaches, especially interregional transport - keep them with you at all times.

Book a taxi in advance rather than hailing one from the street, especially late at night. Keep in groups and avoid walking alone late at night.

There have been a few reports of people being given ‘spiked’ drinks in nightclubs and bars, particularly in the Suecia and Bellavista areas of Santiago. These can leave the victim open to theft or assault.

Leave your passport and other valuables in a safe place and carry a photocopy of the details page of your passport with you at all times.

Local travel

Landmine accidents mainly affect livestock and local people crossing borders at unauthorised points. Most minefields are near the borders with Peru and Bolivia in the extreme north of Chile (regions XV, I and II) and Argentina in the south (region XII). Although most minefields are clearly marked, some signs and fences are old and damaged, and may be hard to spot. In some cases, minefields are laid right up to the edge of highways. Check with local authorities before travelling to more rural areas, stick to clearly marked roads and observe all warning signs.

If travelling to national parks in Chile you are advised that open fires (outside permitted camping areas) are strictly forbidden. Local authorities may revoke tourist permits from anyone caught starting a fire within a Chilean National Park and ask them to leave Chile voluntarily within 72 hours or face deportation. Additionally, if the open fire results in a larger forest fire, there may also be criminal penalties and fines.

If you plan to go exploring or mountaineering, notify the local authorities before you set off. For further information on mountaineering, contact the Federación de Andinismo de Chile, Almirante Simpson 77, Santiago, Chile, Telephone: (56 2) 2220888.  For any other type of exploring, contact the Chilean Embassy in London, to see if permits are required. There are good rescue facilities in Chile.  You may be charged for the service they provide.

Road travel

You can use your UK driving licence while in Chile if you’re visiting as a tourist. You must have your passport and entrance card with you while driving. If you hire a car, take out adequate insurance including for windscreen damage, which can be expensive.

If you’re resident in Chile you must get a Chilean driving licence from the nearest ‘municipalidad’. You can find further information about the process on the Chilean Transport Ministry website.

There is no car insurance available on Easter Island. In case of accidents or any damage to your vehicle, you will have to pay for the repairs yourself.

Main roads in Chile are surfaced, but you may need a four-wheel drive vehicle in the countryside. Be prepared for a range of driving conditions, from snow and ice to hot sandy deserts. Road tolls are increasingly common. Between June and September, winter weather sometimes temporarily closes the Chile-Argentina border crossing high up in the Andes, including the main Los Libertadores crossing between Santiago and Mendoza.

Air travel

The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) can’t offer advice on the safety of individual airlines, but the International Air Transport Association publishes a list of registered airlines that have been audited and found to meet a number of operational safety standards and recommended practices. This list is not exhaustive and the absence of an airline from this list does not necessarily mean that it is unsafe.

A list of recent incidents and accidents can be found on the website of the Aviation Safety network.

Political situation

There remains a risk of violent protest in Santiago and other Chilean cities, particularly on Friday afternoons/evenings.

Nationwide protests often take place on 11 September (anniversary of the military coup), 29 March (‘day of the young combatant’) and 1 May (Workers’ Day). Even peaceful protests can become violent. The largest protests usually take place in central Santiago. Police can use tear gas and water cannon against protesters. Other public demonstrations, often led by students or indigenous rights defenders, can occur around Chile. You should avoid all demonstrations.

The following Santiago districts have in the past been the focus of strong protests:
the boroughs of:

  • Providencia
  • Santiago Central
  • Huechuraba
  • Estacion Central
  • Ñuñoa
  • San Joaquin
  • Renca
  • La Pintana
  • Macul

Downtown university neighbourhoods can also be the location of large demonstrations which may become violent after dark. Please be particularly aware of possible disturbances in those areas.

In the Araucanía Region, especially around Temuco, civil unrest continues including attacks against security forces, property, people, vehicles and industrial equipment by groups of demonstrators. Caution should be exercised when travelling within the Araucanía Region. A state of emergency has been declared in the provinces of Biobío, Arauco, Cautín and Malleco owing to a significant increase in violent incidents. The state of emergency continues until further notice. Over this period, the military have been deployed to assist regional police activity. You should follow the instructions of local authorities.

Terrorist attacks in Chile can’t be ruled out. Attacks, although unlikely, could be indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners.

UK Counter Terrorism Policing has information and advice on staying safe abroad and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. Find out more about the global threat from terrorism.

There are occasional acts of domestic terrorism by anarchist groups, mostly in Santiago, including the use of small explosive devices. Groups mainly target banks (ATMs) and public transport. Keep bags with you at all times, and report any suspicious behaviour or unattended packages to local authorities. Since early April 2020, there has been an increase in attacks against security forces in the Araucania region, particularly around Ruta 5. You should exercise caution and follow the instructions of local authorities.

There’s a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

Under Chilean law, foreign nationals visiting or living in Chile could be deported for any involvement or promotion of violent acts that could disturb local social order or the system of government. You should avoid all protests and demonstrations.

Consumption and possession of drugs is illegal and can lead to prison sentences.

Homosexuality is legal in Chile and is increasingly widely accepted socially, although much of Chilean society is conservative. See our information and advice page for the LGBT community before you travel.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Chile on the TravelHealthPro website

See the healthcare information in the Coronavirus section for information on what to do if you think you have coronavirus while in Chile.

At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the latest country-specific health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website. Each country-specific page has information on vaccine recommendations, any current health risks or outbreaks, and factsheets with information on staying healthy abroad. Guidance is also available from NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website.

General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist is available on the NHS website. You may then wish to contact your health adviser or pharmacy for advice on other preventive measures and managing any pre-existing medical conditions while you’re abroad.

The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or purchased in the UK can be different in other countries. If you’re travelling with prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read this guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines. For further information on the legal status of a specific medicine, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

While travel can be enjoyable, it can sometimes be challenging. There are clear links between mental and physical health, so looking after yourself during travel and when abroad is important. Information on travelling with mental health conditions is available in our guidance page.

Further information is also available from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC).

Local medical care

The Chilean authorities have confirmed some cases of Dengue fever in Easter Island. You should take steps to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes.

There are good health facilities in Santiago and other major cities, but private clinics and hospitals are expensive. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation. 

Air pollution in Santiago during winter (June-September) is a major problem. You may suffer from eye irritation and respiratory problems.

There have been a number of confirmed cases of children contracting meningitis W135.

Only one hospital offers treatment on Easter Island and its facilities are limited.  Those suffering from serious illnesses or injuries are often flown by air ambulance to mainland Chile for treatment. Make sure your insurance covers this.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 131 and ask for an ambulance. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment.

This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British Citizen’ passport, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Chile set and enforce entry rules. For further information contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to. You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

Chilean customs authorities in Santiago Airport require all travellers to complete an affidavit (Declaracion Jurada) indicating whether you are carrying products of animal or plant origin when entering Chile. You can complete it prior to travel on the SAG website or on arrival using a hard copy form available in the airport between baggage collection and the final customs check.

From 1 December, entry is prohibited to all non-resident foreign nationals who have been in South Africa, Zimbawe, Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho, Eswatini and Mozambique during the last 14 days.

From 1 December, travellers arriving in Chile with further domestic flight connections will no longer be required to quarantine on arrival until they receive a negative PCR test result (carried out by health authorities on arrival). Mobility Pass holders can continue their trip and quarantine in their final destination until they receive a negative PCR test result. If they are required to take an antigen test, they will need to wait for the result before onwards travel.

Please note that you will be required to provide a valid Mobility Pass in order to travel on a domestic connecting flight.

Entry rules in response to coronavirus

The Chilean Government has a ‘Fronteras Protegidas’ (Protected Borders) Strategy.

You are allowed to enter Chile if you are:

  • a Chilean national or a resident foreign national; or
  • a non-resident foreign national only if you have proof of vaccination validated by the Chilean authorities prior to travel. To do this, you must apply online to have your vaccination validated and receive a Chilean “Pase de Movilidad” (Mobility Pass) by visiting MeVacuno website. You should allow up to 30 days for your application to be processed. (See ‘Demonstrating your COVID-19 status’). Please note the Embassy is unable to assist in obtaining this pass.
  • or you fall into one of the ‘exceptions’ listed in Decree 102. You should contact the nearest Chilean Consulate/Embassy prior to travel.
  • and hold travel insurance covering a minimum of $30,000 USD for COVID-related issues. This also applies for authorised non-resident foreigners listed in Decree 102.
  • From 1 December, all children under 6 years old (including non-resident foreigners) regardless of their vaccination status are allowed to enter Chile.
  • From 1 December, entry is prohibited to all non-resident foreign nationals who have been in South Africa, Zimbawe, Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho, Eswatini and Mozambique during the last 14 days.
  • Chilean and resident foreign nationals, who have been in the above countries during the last 14 days, are allowed to enter Chile. However, they have to undergo an antigen or PCR-test on arrival and comply with a 7-day quarantine period.

All travellers (including Chileans, resident and authorised non-resident foreign nationals) must:

  • have a negative PCR test SARS-COV-2 (rapid and antigen tests are not acceptable), taken not more than 72 hours before boarding the final flight into Santiago. Children under 2 years old are exempt

  • complete an Affidavit (Declaración Jurada) up to 48 hours before boarding. This will generate a QR-code by separate email, which you must show to the airline and during the health screening process on arrival in Chile. Health authorities at Santiago Airport will request all travellers complete a daily ‘self-report’ – for 10 days – via an online form or ‘C19 AutoReporte’ application. The health authorities will provide the detail of this process by email following the health screening.

  • follow the instructions of airport authorities to undergo an antigen or PCR test SARS-COV-2 either in the airport or at an external laboratory outside the airport. If the latter, you will need to do this within 24 hours of arrival. If you undergo an antigen test, you will need to wait for the results in the airport. If the result is positive, non-resident foreigners will be denied entry into the country.

  • Mobility Pass holders will need to remain in quarantine until you receive a negative test result. Resident foreign nationals without a valid Mobility Pass will need to remain in quarantine for 7 days, regardless of a negative antigen or PCR test result.

The air borders entry points currently open for those who meet these entry requirements are:

  • Arturo Merino Benítez airport
  • Iquique airport
  • Antofagasta airport
  • Punta Arenas airport

Demonstrating your COVID-19 status

Chile will accept the UK’s proof of COVID-19 recovery and vaccination record and proof of COVID-19 vaccination issued in the Crown Dependencies. You will need to use this to apply for a Chilean Mobility Pass (‘Pase de Movilidad’) on the Chile Government’s MeVacuno website in order to be able to enter the country. Your final vaccine dose must have been administered within 6 months prior to travel. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centres is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination and should not be used to demonstrate your vaccine status.

Our latest understanding is that non-resident foreign nationals with two vaccinations will be entitled to a Mobility Pass valid for 30 days, those with a booster shot will be entitled to 90 days validity.

Public health measures on arrival in Chile

Upon arrival, all travellers, will be required to undergo another PCR or antigen test and self-isolate until they receive the negative PCR-test result. This is in addition to the negative test they undertook prior to travel. Resident foreign nationals without a valid Mobility Pass will need to remain in quarantine for 7 days, regardless of a negative antigen or PCR test result.

Health authorities at Santiago Airport will require completion of a follow-up online form for 10 days from the arrival date.

If you arrive in Chile with a domestic connecting flight, you do not need to quarantine on arrival. You can continue your trip and quarantine in your final destination until you receive a negative PCR test result.

Please note that you will be required to provide a valid Mobility Pass in order to travel on a domestic connecting flight.

Quarantine requirements for travellers who must self-isolate:

  • Strict quarantine in private or declared residence or at a hotel. Transit hotels are no longer an option to quarantine
  • If you choose to quarantine in a hotel, you cannot leave the hotel room.
  • All other residents at the registered quarantine address must also quarantine for the same length of time
  • You must use private transportation to reach the registered address
  • From 1 December, if travel companions of children under 6 years old have validated their vaccines, regardless of their booster shot status, only the child will have to remain in quarantine. For holders of a valid Mobility Pass, this quarantine period can be lifted if the result of the antigen or PCR test carried out by health authorities on arrival is negative.
  • From 1 December, all travellers whose PCR-test on arrival is positive and suspected of being the Omicron variant, must comply with a 7 day quarantine period in a government quarantine hotel or residence
  • You may be required to undergo a PCR or antigen test at any time during the 14 days following arrival.

You should not use the NHS testing service to get a test in order to facilitate your travel to another country. You should arrange to take a private test.

For more details please contact the Chilean COVID Health-line 6003607777 option 0.

Regular entry requirements


If you are a British passport holder visiting Chile for less than 90 days, you do not need a visa. If you wish to stay longer, you should consult the nearest Chilean Embassy

On arrival in Chile the immigration authorities will issue you with a ‘Tarjeta de Turismo - Tourist Card’, an A5 sized white form. You must retain this document and present it to immigration when you leave. If you lose it, you should request a copy of the Tourist card on the PDI website, at the nearest PDI office or the one at Santiago airport.

Once in Chile, if you decide to stay for 90 days or more, you can apply for an extension choosing the “Prorroga de Turismo’ option on the Chilean Immigration Department (Extranjeria) website. You can also visit the ‘Extranjeria’ office located in San Antonio 580, Santiago. Telephone: 600 626 4222.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required.

Dual nationality

British-Chilean dual nationals must enter and leave Chile using their Chilean passport. Chilean entry and exit requirements for dual nationals may change without notice. For further information check with the nearest Chilean Embassy.

Travelling with children   

Chile has strict requirements for the entry and exit of minors under the age of 18.

Children born in Chile require a Chilean passport to leave.

Children under 18 years old who are leaving Chile alone, with only one parent/guardian, with friends or relatives, or with a group must get authorisation to travel from the Chilean authorities before travel. You can get this authorisation from any ‘notaria’ in Chile.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Chile. Your ETD must be valid for the proposed duration of your stay.

Dual British/Chilean nationals must have a Chilean travel document (passport) to be allowed to depart - UK ETDs cannot substitute this requirement.

Tourist card (Tarjeta de Turismo) issued by Border authorities on your arrival in Chile must be presented to immigration when you leave. If you lose it, you should request a copy of the Tourist card on the PDI website, at the nearest PDI office or the one at Santiago airport.


Serious earthquakes are always a possibility in Chile. You should familiarise yourself with safety procedures in the event of an earthquake or tsunami, and take note of instructions in hotel rooms. Building regulations require new structures to take account of seismic risks. Safety measures are widely known and put into practice by national organisations and the local authorities. To learn more about what to do before, during and after an earthquake, see the website of the US Federal Emergency Management Agency.


A chain of volcanoes erupted in the Puyehue and Los Lagos region (500 miles south of Santiago) in June 2011 and are still active. There is a continuing risk of eruptions in Chaiten in southern Chile, Llaima in the Conguillo National Park and Lascar in northern Chile.  The Copahue Volcano on the Argentina/Chile border also erupts periodically, causing local residents to be evacuated. If you’re travelling to these areas, monitor local media reports and follow the advice of the local authorities.

ATMs are widely available.

Credit cards are accepted in most large shops and hotels. Dollar travellers’ cheques are more widely accepted than travellers’ cheques in other currencies. It is possible to transfer money from the UK to Chile through Western Union.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. If you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad, contact the FCDO in London on 020 7008 5000 (24 hours).

Foreign travel checklist

Read our foreign travel checklist to help you plan for your trip abroad and stay safe while you’re there.

Travel safety

The FCDO travel advice helps you make your own decisions about foreign travel. Your safety is our main concern, but we can’t provide tailored advice for individual trips. If you’re concerned about whether or not it’s safe for you to travel, you should read the travel advice for the country or territory you’re travelling to, together with information from other sources you’ve identified, before making your own decision on whether to travel. Only you can decide whether it’s safe for you to travel.

When we judge the level of risk to British nationals in a particular place has become unacceptably high, we’ll state on the travel advice page for that country or territory that we advise against all or all but essential travel. Read more about how the FCDO assesses and categorises risk in foreign travel advice.

Our crisis overseas page suggests additional things you can do before and during foreign travel to help you stay safe.

Refunds and cancellations

If you wish to cancel or change a holiday that you’ve booked, you should contact your travel company. The question of refunds and cancellations is a matter for you and your travel company. Travel companies make their own decisions about whether or not to offer customers a refund. Many of them use our travel advice to help them reach these decisions, but we do not instruct travel companies on when they can or can’t offer a refund to their customers.

For more information about your rights if you wish to cancel a holiday, visit the Citizen’s Advice Bureau website. For help resolving problems with a flight booking, visit the website of the Civil Aviation Authority. For questions about travel insurance, contact your insurance provider and if you’re not happy with their response, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Registering your travel details with us

We’re no longer asking people to register with us before travel. Our foreign travel checklist and crisis overseas page suggest things you can do before and during foreign travel to plan your trip and stay safe.

Previous versions of FCDO travel advice

If you’re looking for a previous version of the FCDO travel advice, visit the National Archives website. Versions prior to 2 September 2020 will be archived as FCO travel advice. If you can’t find the page you’re looking for there, send the Travel Advice Team a request.

Further help

If you’re a British national and you have a question about travelling abroad that isn’t covered in our foreign travel advice or elsewhere on GOV.UK, you can submit an enquiry. We’re not able to provide tailored advice for specific trips.

Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.