Top events in Switzerland


Fête de l'Escalade comprises of a traditional weekend festival and a race ('Course de l'Escalade') through the streets of Old Geneva in...


'Vogel Gryff' Festival is a traditional festival during which the three heraldic figures (Vogel Gryff (Griffin), Wild Maa (Wild Man) and Leu (Lion...


The biggest party on the Basel calendar, a three-day non-stop carnival of parties and parades. It begins on the Monday following Ash Wednesday...

Swiss Alps in summer
Pin This
Open Media Gallery

Swiss Alps in summer

© / Britvich Julia

Switzerland Travel Guide

Key Facts

41,284 sq km (15,940 sq miles).


8,588,758 (UN estimate 2019).

Population density

208 per sq km.


Federal City Bern.


Federal republic.

Head of state

Guy Parmelin since January 2021.

Head of government

Guy Parmelin since January 2021.


230 volts AC, 50Hz. Standard European plugs with two round pins and Swiss plugs with three round pins are used.

Combining expansive greenery, slick cities and bucketfuls of fresh air, Switzerland is a stylish tourist destination that offers countless outdoor adventures and contemporary urban breaks.

Switzerland’s Alpine vistas are so picture perfect, they appear to have been plucked from a postcard or the pages of a storybook. But these disarming landscapes are alive and kicking, as the myriad spots for skiing, hiking or mountain biking can attest. Ski resorts like Zermatt (home to the lofty Matterhorn), Verbier and celebrity-studded St Moritz provide everything from big, bad Olympic runs to encouragingly gentle novice slopes. And when the snow melts at low altitudes, the white-tipped mountain peaks remain against a backdrop of blue skies, providing a superb setting for summertime hiking.

The ancient capital Berne provides almost endless opportunities for sightseeing, shopping and traditional folk entertainment, while Zurich leads the way in art, design and nightlife, from opera and world-class theatre to stylish bars and nightclubs. Geneva is the sleekest and most upscale of Switzerland's cities, acting as home to a thriving community of expats, many of whom work for the numerous international organisations that are headquartered there.

Yet Switzerland’s cultural offerings don’t stop there. When it comes to contemporary art, polished Basel reigns supreme, with more than 40 museums and galleries nestled in this compact city. For a few days every year, Basel takes centre stage for the eminent Art Basel fair. French-flavoured Montreux also steals a moment in the cultural spotlight when it becomes the centre of focus for the jazz world during the Montreux Jazz Festival. Elsewhere, dotted around green foothills, are countless spruce towns and folkloric villages, where ancient farm culture survives and cattle still loiter amid flower-filled pastures. 

Small, mountainous and wealthy, Switzerland is renowned for its enviable quality of life, with public services ticking along like clockwork. Come for the creamy, complex cheeses, smooth chocolates and luxury watches; stay for the exquisite culture, incredible scenery and sheer sense of fun.

Travel Advice

Coronavirus travel health

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Switzerland on the TravelHealthPro website.

See the TravelHealthPro website for further advice on travel abroad and reducing spread of respiratory viruses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Entry and borders

See Entry requirements to find out what you will need to do when you arrive in Switzerland.

Returning to the UK

When you return, you must follow the rules for entering the UK.

You are responsible for organising your own COVID-19 test, in line with UK government testing requirements. You should check that the test result can be provided in the correct form and language. You should check the cantonal websites for information on testing facilities.

Neighbouring countries may introduce restrictions at borders and conduct health checks. Check the travel advice for any country you need to travel to or through. See our Travel Advice for France and Germany for the latest rules for transiting those countries from/to Switzerland.

Be prepared for your plans to change

No travel is risk-free during COVID. Countries may further restrict travel or bring in new rules at short notice, for example due to a new COVID-19 variant. Check with your travel company or airline for any transport changes which may delay your journey home.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there.

Plan ahead and make sure you:

  • can access money
  • understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away for longer than planned

COVID-19 restrictions

Switzerland has put measures in place to limit the spread of COVID-19.

You should follow the rules on hygiene and social distancing. These include:

  • Keeping a distance of at least 1.5 metres from other people
  • If it is not possible to maintain that distance, wearing a face mask

Wearing a face mask is compulsory when travelling on public transport and when indoors in publicly accessible areas. Further information on masks is available on the Federal Office of Public Health website. Failure to wear a mask is punishable by a fine. Children under the age of 12 are exempt from this requirement, as are individuals who are unable to wear a mask for medical reasons.

Proof of vaccination, proof of recovery from a COVID-19 infection or a negative test result (up to 48 hours for a rapid antigen test or 72 hours for a PCR test) is required for entry into:

  • Large-scale outdoor events attended by over 1,000 people. Indoor hospitality venues including restaurants, bars, clubs and discos
  • Cultural, sporting and leisure activities indoors. This includes museums and libraries, leisure facilities, zoos, casinos, fitness centres and sports facilities, indoor pools and water parks
  • Indoor events including theatre and cinema, concerts, sporting events and private events outside the home (e.g. weddings)

Children under the age of 16 are exempt from this requirement.

Switzerland will accept the UK’s proof of COVID-19 recovery and vaccination record. You will also need to show photographic ID (e.g. passport, driving licence). If you are travelling with a printed PDF proof of vaccination status, it must date from 1 November to ensure that the certificate can be scanned successfully, if domestic certification is required. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centres is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination and should not be used to demonstrate your vaccine status.

Vaccinated visitors who don’t have an EU Digital COVID Certificate (EUDCC) or a certificate that is compatible with the EUDCC (e.g. the NHS COVID Pass) can apply online for a Swiss COVID certificate. This costs CHF 30. Applications take 5 working days to be processed. Further information is available on the application website.

Further information is available from the Federal Office of Public Health.

Cantons may imposed further restrictions, and you should check cantonal websites for further details.

Healthcare in Switzerland

If you feel ill, or are experiencing possible coronavirus symptoms, stay at home and either take the Coronavirus Check or call your doctor.

For contact details for English speaking doctors, visit our list of healthcare providers.

Your emotional and mental wellbeing is important. Read guidance on how to look after your mental wellbeing and mental health.

View Health for further details on healthcare in Switzerland.

COVID-19 vaccines if you live in Switzerland

Wherever possible British nationals should aim to be vaccinated in the country where they live. We will update this page when the Government of Switzerland announces new information on the national vaccination programme. You can sign up to get email notifications when this page is updated.

The Swiss national vaccination programme started in December 2020 and is using the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and Janssen vaccines. British nationals resident in Switzerland are eligible for vaccination. The Swiss authorities have issued their vaccination strategy on how vaccinations are organised in your canton. You can register for vaccination on the website of your canton of residence.

Find out more, including about vaccines that are authorised in the UK or approved by the World Health Organisation, on the COVID-19 vaccines if you live abroad.

If you’re a British national living in Switzerland, you should seek medical advice from your local healthcare provider. Information about COVID-19 vaccines used in the national programme where you live, including regulatory status, should be available from local authorities.

If you receive your COVID-19 vaccination in Switzerland, you can get a Digital COVID Certificate from the cantonal authorities. The Certificate proves that you have been vaccinated against COVID-19, received a negative test result, or recovered from COVID-19. It will help facilitate your travel within the Schengen Area and, in some countries, you can use it to demonstrate your COVID-19 status to businesses and other organisations. For further information visit the Federal Office of Public Health’s COVID Certificate page.


For information on financial support you can access whilst abroad, visit our financial assistance guidance.

Further Information

Further information is available from the Federal Office of Public Health or by calling the Coronavirus Infoline on +41 58 463 00 00 (4am – 9pm GMT). Assistance is available in English, German, French and Italian.

If you need urgent consular assistance, contact your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate. All telephone numbers are available 24/7.


There is a low rate of serious crime in Switzerland. However, the British Embassy has received increased reports of theft especially in larger cities, at Geneva airport and on trains to/from Geneva.

Take sensible precautions to avoid mugging, bag snatching and pickpocketing. Be particularly vigilant at airports, railway stations and crowded public gatherings. Do not leave your valuables unattended.

This leaflet, produced by the British Embassy and the Swiss transport police, gives more advice on what to do if you’re pickpocketed, including useful contacts. The emergency number for the Police is 117.

Road travel

In 2019 there were 187 road deaths in the Switzerland (source: Department for Transport). This equates to 2.2 road deaths per 100,000 of population and compares to the UK average of 2.6 road deaths per 100,000 of population in 2019.

If you are planning to drive in Switzerland, see information on Driving Abroad.

Licences and documents

Drivers must be 18 years of age and hold a full valid UK, or other EU/EEA driving licence, insurance and vehicle documents.

When driving in Switzerland, you should always have your:

  • driving licence
  • car papers
  • insurance paper
  • MOT/Control technique certificate
  • passport or ID and those of your passengers

If you’re living in Switzerland, check the Living in Switzerland Guide for information on requirements for residents.

Driving a British car abroad

You may need a GB sticker or a UK sticker to drive your car outside the UK. From 28 September UK stickers will replace GB stickers. Check the GOV.UK Displaying number plates website for more information on what to do if you are driving outside the UK before, on or after 28 September 2021.

Driving regulations

Road users have to comply with Switzerland’s traffic laws, such as speed limits, rules on alcohol intake and child security. Traffic regulations are strictly enforced. Any serious breach of the regulations can result in heavy fines and/or imprisonment.

A reflective jacket and a warning triangle are compulsory and must be kept within easy reach (not in the boot). You must also have a first aid kit in the car. Radar detectors are prohibited in Switzerland (whether in use or not). The limit for alcohol in the bloodstream is 0.05% and police may request any driver to undergo a breath test or drugs test.

The speed limit on Swiss motorways is 120km/h unless otherwise indicated. Serious traffic offences (including driving over the speed limit) can lead to criminal prosecution. You may face detention while awaiting trial. There is no standard penalty because sentencing varies from canton to canton.

If you receive a traffic fine while driving in Switzerland you might be asked to pay on the spot. If you wish to challenge the fine, you can appeal in writing to the competent Swiss authority by the deadline, giving your reasons and presenting documentary proof. Fines can be enforced for a period of 3 years. This is to encourage foreign motorists who wish to re-enter Switzerland to pay their fine. Unpaid fines can result in a prison sentence.


You must purchase and display a vignette (sticker) to travel on Swiss motorways or face large fines. You can buy a vignette at most border crossings, petrol stations, post offices, by phone (+800 1002 0030) and online. The price of a vignette is currently CHF 40.

Motorway journeys are usually trouble-free, but if you´re involved in a car accident, use the orange emergency phones to ask for help.

Road conditions

Many roads outside of urban areas are narrow and winding, and road conditions can deteriorate fast (even in summer) especially during heavy rainfall and subsequent snowfall at higher altitudes. You should reduce your speed significantly to suit the conditions.

Alpine winters often make driving more difficult. You should equip your car with winter tyres and snow-chains, and check road conditions prior to departure. You should carry water, food, warm clothing and medicines in your vehicle.

You can find the latest information on road conditions on the websites of the Swiss Touring Club (in German, French and Italian). See the AA and RAC guides on driving in Switzerland.


The official website of Switzerland Tourism provides useful information for travellers in a wheelchair or with impaired mobility.

Outdoor sports activities

Hiking, mountaineering and other adventure sports are increasingly popular activities. Unfortunately each year there are incidents with visitors getting into difficulty and needing the help of the emergency services. There have been a number of tragic accidents involving British visitors, including during extreme sports activities.

If you’re taking part in extreme sports, check that the company is well established in the industry and that you’ve arranged for your travel insurance to cover the specific activity. For sports activities like skiing, potholing and mountaineering, and for sports classed as particularly dangerous (e.g. off-piste skiing, mountain biking, climbing, paragliding or BASE jumping), your insurance should include mountain rescue services, helicopter costs and repatriation to your country of residence or possible transfer to neighbouring countries for treatment.

Check weather forecasts and conditions and make sure you’re properly equipped for the worst-case scenario. A map, compass, GPS and telecommunication equipment should always be used when travelling outside urban areas. Don’t undertake any activity alone, and consider hiring a guide for expert advice. Always leave copies of your itinerary with someone.

The following alpine hazards exist throughout the year:

  • avalanches and snow drifts
  • landslides and flooding
  • glacial crevasses and hollows
  • rock fall
  • thunder storms and lightning
  • altitude sickness
  • sun exposure
  • sudden weather changes

To check the latest avalanche risk, visit the website of the Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology. Observe all warnings about avalanches and where appropriate consider carrying search equipment. Conditions on roads in mountainous areas can quickly become difficult in winter. You should carry water, food, warm clothing and medicines in your vehicle.

Off-piste skiing is highly dangerous. You should follow all safety instructions carefully given the danger of avalanches in some areas and particularly during times of heavy snow. Avalanche beepers (receivers) are the most common rescue devices and when properly used provide the fastest way of locating an avalanche victim.

For more information and advice on enjoying outdoor activities safely and responsibly, visit the official website of Switzerland Tourism.

Read more about how to stay safe on the slopes.

Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Switzerland. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners.

UK Counter Terrorism Policing has information and advice on staying safe abroad and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. Find out more about the global threat from terrorism.

There’s a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

It’s illegal to cover your face in public places in the Swiss cantons of Ticino and St Gallen. This does not apply to the requirement to wear a face mask. Failure to comply with the ban is punishable by a fine ranging from 100 CHF to 10,000 CHF. The law doesn’t provide any exemption for tourists.

This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British Citizen’ passport, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Switzerland set and enforce entry rules. For further information contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to. You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

You will require a valid passport or other travel document to enter Switzerland.

If you are travelling to Switzerland for work, read the guidance on visas and permits as the rules have changed since 1 January 2021.

Entry rules in response to coronavirus (COVID-19)

Eligibility to enter Switzerland

You are eligible to enter Switzerland for any travel purpose if you are fully vaccinated and can show adequate proof (detailed below). From 27 November 2021, in addition to the requirements below, you must show a negative COVID-19 test result and self-quarantine for 10 days. More detail will follow as the Swiss Government make further announcements.

Travellers who are not fully vaccinated are only eligible to enter Switzerland from the UK if they are:

  • Swiss or Liechtenstein nationals;
  • EU or EFTA nationals;
  • holders of the following documents:

  • a residence permit, i.e. a Swiss residence permit (L / B / C / Ci permits);
  • a cross-border permit (G permit);
  • an FDFA legitimation card;
  • a D visa issued by Switzerland;
  • confirmation of notification for the cross-border provision of services up to 90 days;
  • holders of a ‘laissez passer’ issued by the Swiss Embassy in situations of special necessity

Travellers who are not fully vaccinated and do not meet one of the exemptions outlined above are not eligible to enter Switzerland.

Anyone who is eligible to enter Switzerland who has not been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or can demonstrate they have recovered from the virus (see ‘Demonstrating your COVID-19 status’, below) must provide a negative COVID test result (either PCR or antigen). They will have to take a second test between four and seven days after arrival, and send the result to the relevant cantonal health authority.

Unvaccinated children and adolescents arriving from the UK under the age of 18 are allowed to enter Switzerland and are accompanied by fully vaccinated adults.

All travellers must complete a passenger locator form.

You can see what rules apply to you when entering Switzerland using the online Travelcheck service.

Testing requirements

In addition to the above entry requirements, all travellers flying to Switzerland must possess either proof of vaccination, proof of recovery in the last 6 months or a negative COVID-19 test prior to departure. Negative PCR tests (not older than 72 hours) or a rapid antigen test (not older than 48 hours) are accepted. Children under the age of 16 are exempt from testing. A negative COVID-19 test will not grant your entry to Switzerland if you are not eligible to enter (i.e. fully vaccinated or exempt.)


From 8pm on 27 November, travellers arriving from the UK must self-quarantine for 10 days on arrival in Switzerland.

Demonstrating your COVID-19 status

Switzerland will accept the UK’s proof of COVID-19 recovery and vaccination record. However a screenshot or a photo is not sufficient. Further information is available from the State Secretariat for Migration. If you are travelling with a printed PDF proof of vaccination status, it must date from 1 November to ensure that the certificate can be scanned successfully. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centres is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination and should not be used to demonstrate your vaccine status.

You will be regarded as vaccinated if you have been vaccinated with a vaccine that either:

  • is authorised in Switzerland and has been administered in full in accordance with Federal Office of Public Health recommendations; or
  • has been authorised by the European Medicines Agency for the European Union and has been administered in full in accordance with the requirements or recommendations of the country in which the vaccination was administered; or
  • has been authorised under the WHO Emergency Use Listing and has been administered in full in accordance with the requirements or recommendations of the country in which the vaccination was administered.

This includes the AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna and Janssen vaccines that are available in the UK.

Your vaccination is valid for 12 months directly after the date of your last vaccination.

For the Janssen vaccination the validity starts 22 days after the date of vaccination.

Further information is available on the Federal Office of Public Health and State Secretariat for Migration websites.


If you are transiting Switzerland, you are strongly advised to have your onward travel booked in advance and to have confirmed you meet the entry requirements of your destination country. If you are transiting by air, you must complete an online form and provide contact details. You should also check the travel advice for any country that you will transit on the way back to the UK. Further information about travelling through Switzerland is available from the State Secretariat for Migration.


Further advice for people travelling to Switzerland is available from an information line run by the Federal Office of Public Health on +41 58 464 44 88 (4am – 9pm GMT). Assistance is available in English, German, French and Italian.

Regular entry requirements


The rules for travelling or working in European countries changed on 1 January 2021:

  • you can travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training.
  • if you are travelling to Switzerland and other Schengen countries without a visa, make sure your whole visit is within the 90-day limit. Visits to Schengen countries within the previous 180 days before you travel count towards your 90 days.
  • to stay longer, to work or study, for business travel or for other reasons, you will need to meet the Swiss government’s entry requirements. Check the Swiss Embassy what type of visa and/or work permit, if any, you may need
  • if you stay in Switzerland with a residence permit or long-stay visa, this does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit

Any time you spent in Switzerland or other Schengen countries before 1 January 2021 does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit.

At Swiss border control, you may need to queue in separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens.

Check your passport is stamped if you enter or exit the Schengen area through Switzerland as a visitor. Border guards will use passport stamps to check you’re complying with the 90-day visa-free limit for short stays in the Schengen area. If relevant entry or exit stamps are not in your passport, border guards will presume that you have overstayed your visa-free limit.

You can show evidence of when and where you entered or exited the Schengen area, and ask the border guards to add this date and location in your passport. Examples of acceptable evidence include boarding passes and tickets.

You may also need to:

  • show a return or onward ticket
  • show you have enough money for your stay

If you are resident in Switzerland your passport should not be stamped. You should proactively show your proof of residence as well as your valid passport at Swiss border control. For further information, see our Living in Switzerland guide.

Passport validity

Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip, and renew your passport if you do not have enough time left on it.

Make sure your passport is:

  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave Switzerland, or any other Schengen country
  • less than 10 years old

The 3 months you need when leaving a country must be within 10 years of the passport issue date.

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the minimum 3 months needed.

Customs regulations

For information and advice about Swiss customs regulations, visit the official website of the Federal Customs Administration.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Switzerland.

Working in Switzerland

If you intend to work in Switzerland, you should get detailed information on employment regulations from the State Secretariat for Migration.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Switzerland on the TravelHealthPro website.

See the healthcare information in the Coronavirus section for information on what to do if you think you have coronavirus while in Switzerland.

At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the latest country-specific health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website. Each country-specific page has information on vaccine recommendations, any current health risks or outbreaks, and factsheets with information on staying healthy abroad. Guidance is also available from NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website.

General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist is available on the NHS website. You may then wish to contact your health adviser or pharmacy for advice on other preventive measures and managing any pre-existing medical conditions while you’re abroad.

The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or purchased in the UK can be different in other countries. If you’re travelling with prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read this guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines. For further information on the legal status of a specific medicine, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

While travel can be enjoyable, it can sometimes be challenging. There are clear links between mental and physical health, so looking after yourself during travel and when abroad is important. Information on travelling with mental health conditions is available in our guidance page. Further information is also available from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC).


You should get a free UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) or European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving the UK. If you already have an EHIC it will still be valid as long as it remains in date.

You can use your GHIC or EHIC in Switzerland to get state-provided, medically necessary healthcare at a reduced cost (or sometimes for free) if you are a:

  • UK national
  • Swiss national
  • citizen of the EU
  • refugee
  • stateless person
  • dependant or survivor of someone with one of these nationalities or statuses

You can only use your GHIC or EHIC in Switzerland if one of the above applies to you – even if you can use your GHIC or EHIC in the EU.

You may also be asked to show evidence of your nationality when accessing healthcare using a GHIC or EHIC in Switzerland.

You’ll get treatment on the same terms as a Swiss national.

If you do not have your EHIC or GHIC with you or have lost it, call the NHS Overseas Healthcare Team to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate.

NHS Overseas Healthcare Services
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 3pm

A GHIC or EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance and you should have both before you travel.

A GHIC or EHIC does not cover all health-related costs. For example, it does not cover:

  • being flown back to the UK for medical reasons
  • ongoing medical treatment
  • non-urgent treatment

Read more about what your travel insurance should cover.

If you’re living in Switzerland, you can also find more information on healthcare for residents in our Living in Switzerland guide.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112 or 144 and ask for an ambulance. If you are referred to a medical facility for treatment, you should contact your insurance or medical assistance company immediately.

Health risks

There is an increased risk of tick bites from April to October. The Federal Office of Public Health warns of a significant number of lyme disease and tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) cases annually. For more information read insect and tick bite avoidance

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. If you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad, contact the FCDO in London on 020 7008 5000 (24 hours).

Foreign travel checklist

Read our foreign travel checklist to help you plan for your trip abroad and stay safe while you’re there.

Travel safety

The FCDO travel advice helps you make your own decisions about foreign travel. Your safety is our main concern, but we can’t provide tailored advice for individual trips. If you’re concerned about whether or not it’s safe for you to travel, you should read the travel advice for the country or territory you’re travelling to, together with information from other sources you’ve identified, before making your own decision on whether to travel. Only you can decide whether it’s safe for you to travel.

When we judge the level of risk to British nationals in a particular place has become unacceptably high, we’ll state on the travel advice page for that country or territory that we advise against all or all but essential travel. Read more about how the FCDO assesses and categorises risk in foreign travel advice.

Our crisis overseas page suggests additional things you can do before and during foreign travel to help you stay safe.

Refunds and cancellations

If you wish to cancel or change a holiday that you’ve booked, you should contact your travel company. The question of refunds and cancellations is a matter for you and your travel company. Travel companies make their own decisions about whether or not to offer customers a refund. Many of them use our travel advice to help them reach these decisions, but we do not instruct travel companies on when they can or can’t offer a refund to their customers.

For more information about your rights if you wish to cancel a holiday, visit the Citizen’s Advice Bureau website. For help resolving problems with a flight booking, visit the website of the Civil Aviation Authority. For questions about travel insurance, contact your insurance provider and if you’re not happy with their response, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Registering your travel details with us

We’re no longer asking people to register with us before travel. Our foreign travel checklist and crisis overseas page suggest things you can do before and during foreign travel to plan your trip and stay safe.

Previous versions of FCDO travel advice

If you’re looking for a previous version of the FCDO travel advice, visit the National Archives website. Versions prior to 2 September 2020 will be archived as FCO travel advice. If you can’t find the page you’re looking for there, send the Travel Advice team a request.

Further help

If you’re a British national and you have a question about travelling abroad that isn’t covered in our foreign travel advice or elsewhere on GOV.UK, you can submit an enquiry. We’re not able to provide tailored advice for specific trips.

Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.