Places in Latvia

Latvia Visa and Passport Requirements

Passport required Return ticket required Visa required
Australian Yes No No
British Yes No No
Canadian Yes No No
Other EU 1 No No
USA Yes No No

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

Apply for one now! Preferred suppliers of Visas and Passports by World Travel Guide

A passport valid for three months beyond the length of stay and issued within the past 10 years is required by all nationals listed in the chart above except (1) EU nationals holding a passport or national ID card which is valid for the duration of stay.

If travelling from one border-free Schengen country to another however, EU nationals are not required to show a passport or national ID card. It is still recommended that you travel with your passport or ID card to prove your identity if necessary though. Note that Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the UK are not part of the Schengen area, so a passport or ID card is required if travelling to/from these countries.

EU nationals are not required to possess a return ticket or show sufficient funds.


Visas to Latvia are not required by nationals referred to in the chart above. Australian, Canadian and US nationals may stay for up to 90 days within any six-month period. EU nationals may stay for an unlimited period, but must register with the local authorities after three months.

Visa note

Nationals not referred to in the chart are advised to contact the embassy to check visa requirements for Latvia.

Types and cost

Schengen visa: €60/£48. Reductions are available for some nationals and for children.


Schengen visa: 90 days within a six-month period.


Nationals of a few countries require a transit visa even if staying in the international transit area of the airport; check with the embassy for details.

Application to

In person at the consulate (or consular section at embassy). UK residents requiring a visa should submit applications to VFS Global's Latvia Visa Application Centre in London, Manchester or Edinburgh ( VFS charges an additional service fee of £24. All visa applicants aged 12 and over must submit biometric data at their visa appointment.

Schengen visas

Latvia is a member of the Schengen area.

Working days

Allow up to 10 working days for visa processing; certain cases may take up to 30 days.

Sufficient funds

Schengen visa applicants need to show proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay.

Extension of stay

For stays over 90 days, EU nationals must register with the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (tel: +371 6758 8675; Non-EU citizens must obtain a residence permit.

Holders of Schengen visas can only extend their visas in exceptional circumstances such as force majeure or for humanitarian reasons.

Entry with pets

If bringing a pet into Latvia, you must have an internationally recognised veterinary certificate in Latvian, English or Russian and an up-to-date vaccination record. 

Embassies and tourist offices

Embassy of Latvia in the USA
Telephone: +1 202 328 2840. Website: Opening times: Mon: 1300-1600, Tues/Thurs: 1000-1300, closed Wed/Fri/Sat-Sun.
Embassy of Latvia in the UK
Telephone: +44 20 7312 0041 Website: Opening times: Opening hours: Mon-Fri 1000-1600

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

With more than 50 years experience CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral have become the largest and most well-established travel visa and passport company in the world.

CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral has the tools, experience, and global network necessary to effectively reduce the time associated with obtaining travel documents and legalisations.

VisaCentral offer:

  • Unmatched Speed.
  • Full Line of Services.
  • Proprietary Database.
  • Travel Visa and Passport Specialists.
  • Secure Process.
  • Real-time Order Tracking.
dummy banner image
Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.