Hungary Visa and Passport Requirements

Passport required Return ticket required Visa required
Australian Yes No No
British Yes No No
Canadian Yes No No
Other EU 1 No No
USA Yes No No

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

Apply for one now! Preferred suppliers of Visas and Passports by World Travel Guide

A passport valid for three months beyond the length of stay and issued within the past 10 years is required by all nationals listed in the chart above except (1) EU nationals holding a passport or national ID card which is valid for the duration of stay.

If travelling from one border-free Schengen country to another however, EU nationals are not required to show a passport or national ID card. It is still recommended that you travel with your passport or ID card to prove your identity if necessary though. Note that Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the UK are not part of the Schengen area, so a passport or ID card is required if travelling to/from these countries.

EU nationals are not required to possess a return ticket or show sufficient funds.


Visas are not required by nationals referred to in the chart above for stays of up to 90 days.

EU nationals staying longer than 90 days need to register with the immigration department.

Nationals of Australia, Canada and the USA staying in Hungary for longer than 90 days need to apply for a long-stay visa.

Visa note

Nationals not referred to in the chart are advised to contact the embassy to check visa requirements for Hungary.

Visitors are not entitled to take any gainful employment. Non-EU visa-exempt nationals need to secure a work permit and working visa in advance.

Family members of EEA citizens, who hold blue residence documentation in their passports with the document type 'Residence card of a family member of an EEA national' are not required to have a visa in order to travel to Hungary.

Types and cost

Schengen visa: €60/£44. Children below the age of 12 years and beneficiaries of bilateral visa agreements pay €35/£26. Visas are free of charge for children under six years of age. 


Schengen visas are valid for 90 days within a six-month period.


Airport transport visas are required for certain nationalities to pass through the international transit area of Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport even without entering Hungarian national territory.

Application to

Visa applications should be made to the consular department of the nearest Hungarian embassy. A list of embassies is available on the Hungarian government's Consular Services website ( Those wishing to apply for a visa to visit Hungary are required to make an appointment in advance. In the UK, nationals requiring visas can apply via the Hungary Visa Application Centre (; an additional service charge of £24 applies. All visa applicants aged 12 and over must submit biometric data at their visa appointment.

Schengen visas

Hungary is part of the Schengen area.

Temporary residence

Applications should be made to the Office of Immigration and Nationality (

Working days

Visa processing usually takes at least 15 working days, but can take longer in some cases.

Sufficient funds

Visa applicants need to show proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay.

Entry documents

For Schengen visas, a document is required stating that you are covered by medical insurance for the Schengen zone, in addition to a confirmed hotel reservation or invitation letter from your host. For business visitors, an official letter from your employer stating the purpose of your visit is required.

Extension of stay

Schengen visa holders can only extend their visas in exceptional circumstances, such as force majeure or for humanitarian reasons.

Entry with children

Children under 18 must provide a birth certificate if applying for a Schengen visa.

Entry restrictions

Foreigners applying for residence must be able to produce a medical certificate stating they have no contagious diseases.

Entry with pets

If you're bringing a pet to Hungary from another EU country, your animal requires a pet passport, microchip and valid rabies vaccination certificate. Animals from outside the EU need a veterinary certificate, microchip and rabies vaccination.

Embassies and tourist offices

Embassy of the Republic of Hungary in the UK
Telephone: (020) 7201 3440 (embassy) or (020) 7235 5218 (consular). Website: Opening times: Mon-Fri 0930-1200 (visa section).
Embassy of the Republic of Hungary in the USA
Telephone: (202) 362 6730. Website: Opening times: Mon-Fri 0930-1230 (visa section).

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

With more than 50 years experience CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral have become the largest and most well-established travel visa and passport company in the world.

CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral has the tools, experience, and global network necessary to effectively reduce the time associated with obtaining travel documents and legalisations.

VisaCentral offer:

  • Unmatched Speed.
  • Full Line of Services.
  • Proprietary Database.
  • Travel Visa and Passport Specialists.
  • Secure Process.
  • Real-time Order Tracking.
dummy banner image
Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.