Places in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Bosnia and Herzegovina Visa and Passport Requirements

Passport required Return ticket required Visa required
Australian Yes Yes No
British Yes Yes No
Canadian Yes Yes No
EU 1 Yes No
USA Yes Yes No

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

Apply for one now! Preferred suppliers of Visas and Passports by World Travel Guide

A passport valid for three months beyond the date of departure from Bosnia and Herzegovina is required by all nationals referred to in chart above.

1. EU citizens may also enter using a valid ID card.


Visas are not required by nationals referred to in the chart above for staying in Bosnia and Herzegovina of up to 90 days within a six-month period and with up to 30 days per stay.

Nationals not referred to in the chart are advised to contact the embassy to check visa requirements.

Visa note

All visitors need to register with the police within 72 hours of arrival; your hotel will usually arrange this on your behalf.

Types and cost

Short-term single-entry visa and transit visa: £26; short-term multiple-entry visa: £48; long-term visa: £61.


Single- or double-entry transit visas: five days; short-term single- and multiple-entry visas: 90 days; single- or multiple-entry long-term visas: over 90 days.

Application to

Consulate (or consular section at embassy).

Temporary residence

If you wish to stay longer than 90 days, you must apply to the Border Police for a residence permit.

Working days

Allow three working days for short-term visas and one to three months for long-term visas.

Sufficient funds

Travellers should have at least KM150 for each day of their visit.

Compulsory registration

Registration is mandatory for all foreigners who wish to remain in the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina longer than 3 days. A landlord with whom a foreigner resides is obliged to register the address of his/her residence directly to competent organizational units of the service or police within 48 hours from the moment of entry.

Entry with children

If applying for a visa for a child, both parents should sign the form. If one parent can't sign it, they need to provide a notarised letter authorising travel with a copy of their passport. 

Entry with pets

Pets must be accompanied by a veterinary certificate and rabies vaccination record.

Embassies and tourist offices

Embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the UK
Telephone: (020) 7373 0867. Website: Opening times: Mon-Fri 0900-1700, Mon-Fri 1000-1300 (consular section).
Embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the USA
Telephone: (202) 337 1500 or 6473 (consular section). Website: Opening times: Mon-Fri 0900-1700; Mon-Fri 1000-1500 (consular section).
British Embassy in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Telephone: (0) 33 282 200. Website: Opening times: Mon-Thurs 0830-1700, Fri 0830-1430.

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

With more than 50 years experience CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral have become the largest and most well-established travel visa and passport company in the world.

CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral has the tools, experience, and global network necessary to effectively reduce the time associated with obtaining travel documents and legalisations.

VisaCentral offer:

  • Unmatched Speed.
  • Full Line of Services.
  • Proprietary Database.
  • Travel Visa and Passport Specialists.
  • Secure Process.
  • Real-time Order Tracking.
dummy banner image
Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.